Coolant temps

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dbone

Reaction score
Good evening FRF community,

I come seeking help/guidance.
I bought this truck about two months ago with 87k miles. At 93.8k now.
I've been driving the past few days and my coolant temps have been climbing a bit.
This has become more frequent recently. I installed a stage 2 aFe CAI two weekends ago. I've had to top it off with a 1 gal of 50/50 coolant since I bought it when I noticed the temps getting higher. The coolant reservoir level has been going down steadily as I drive. Now I see temps rising steadily. Anyone that may have some insight? Sounds like a leak but I'm no expert on these trucks yet. I've been doing most of the work on my own thus far. Would love if someone could shed some wisdom on the issue please and thank you.

48 sec video of the temps staying steady over 230:

Additionally if there's any info I forgot to include please let me know. Thanks again in advance!

*10/19/23 update - Thank you for the replies and advice. I just went and got a new thermostat and 2 gallons of 50/50 coolant/anti. Topped off the reservoir tank with about half a gallon. Gonna do the swap on the thermostat this weekend.*

Attachments

• IMG_4365.jpeg
    IMG_4365.jpeg
    151.1 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_4364.jpeg
    IMG_4364.jpeg
    141.4 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_4367.jpeg
    IMG_4367.jpeg
    120.8 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:

Space Ghost

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good evening FRF community,

I come seeking help/guidance.
I bought this truck about two months ago with 87k miles. At 93.8k now.
I've been driving the past few days and my coolant temps have been climbing a bit.
This has become more frequent recently. I installed a stage 2 aFe CAI two weekends ago. I've had to top it off with a 1 gal of 50/50 coolant since I bought it when I noticed the temps getting higher. The coolant reservoir level has been going down steadily as I drive. Now I see temps rising steadily. Anyone that may have some insight? Sounds like a leak but I'm no expert on these trucks yet. I've been doing most of the work on my own thus far. Would love if someone could shed some wisdom on the issue please and thank you.

48 sec video of the temps staying steady over 230:

Additionally if there's any info I forgot to include please let me know. Thanks again in advance!
may be water pump

OP
OP
Dbone

Dbone

Reaction score
So I actually took your advice and ordered a 170 from SPD. Should be here this week. Till then I will keep topping off on coolant periodically.

mashtastic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Take down the rock guards and look for a leak. Thermostat and flush and fill will help but if you are still adding coolant on a regular basis, there is a ticking time bomb somewhere. Here in Vegas, I keep the RPM between 1800-2100 around town during the summer to let the oil, coolant & A/C pumps flow. Noticed that my mpg has been better by .5 or more. Also, try spraying down the radiator (when cold), that could help.

Remi_

Reaction score
My cluster doesn't display a numerical value. Is that an aftermarket addition or something you can access digging through the menus?