Cool animation of Gen 3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I was hoping for an engineering article. It was all about looks, not function. Why the gen 3 looks better than the gen 2. Like it was all done on purpose rather than driven by the need to reuse as much of the F-150 hardware as possible.

Agreed. While there obviously was some design is unique to the Raptor, any discussion of the design without mention the need to share parts isn't looking at it too honestly. Take the grille for example, they make it sound like the wider grille was intentionally a call back to the Gen 1 Raptor, rather than they needed the grille to have the same physical dimensions at the F150 to maximize reuse of parts. They continue the same sort of nonsense by implying there was design thought in the headlights, rather than just stating they use essentially the same lights as the F150.

I'm not a design expert, and could be way off on this, but I would guess designing the Raptor is actually a lot easier than the F150. The F150 is a wide open slate, where you have to come with designs that can be easily switched out for multiple customer needs. You need it be a work truck, a luxary truck and aggressive/sport truck by switching out a few parts here and there. The Raptor has a handfull of design elements it has to hit, that are well established already, and only has to look aggressive. The interior doesn't even really need to be different from the F150 at all, except for a few logo changes here and there.

Zeusmotorworks

Semi-retired, now just a happy grumpy old man!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was hoping for an engineering article. It was all about looks, not function. Why the gen 3 looks better than the gen 2.

Since the turn of the millennia I rarely say this about most new (serious) vehicles, but aesthetically I believe they took two steps back. Don't have anything specific to point out, but to me it actually looks more average and does not stand out as a much a specialty vehicle as the Gen 2.

It's important to note though I will always gravitate to function over form so who knows.