Constant Carplay Issues with my 2023

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Donmatteo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
No.

the phone sends an h.264 signal from the phone to the screen and it gets x,y back for button input. there isn't any interface between the phone and car (other than video) and the watch shouldn't interfere with that video signal or Bluetooth connection since wireless CarPlay is via wifi.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Can an iwatch throw off car play?
That’s a really good question. It’s a potential variable, so worth eliminating to drive to a resolution.
No.

the phone sends an h.264 signal from the phone to the screen and it gets x,y back for button input. there isn't any interface between the phone and car (other than video) and the watch shouldn't interfere with that video signal or Bluetooth connection since wireless CarPlay is via wifi.
Shouldn’t, but I’m thinking 2 possible scenarios
1) interference caused by the watch at either the software interface level or bluetooth level.
2) if it’s not just a wifi watch, possible interference from the watch itself from the antenna.

It’s unlikely but again, this interface can be a bit quirky. it’s usually stable, but you can lose it entirely going through or near a high EMF area.
To troubleshoot this, I would want every other electronic device either completely off, or completely out of range. Only the phone itself and the truck.

Donmatteo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
That’s a really good question. It’s a potential variable, so worth eliminating to drive to a resolution.

Shouldn’t, but I’m thinking 2 possible scenarios
1) interference caused by the watch at either the software interface level or bluetooth level.
2) if it’s not just a wifi watch, possible interference from the watch itself from the antenna.

It’s unlikely but again, this interface can be a bit quirky. it’s usually stable, but you can lose it entirely going through or near a high EMF area.
To troubleshoot this, I would want every other electronic device either completely off, or completely out of range. Only the phone itself and the truck.
I'm thinking more like it could be the gateway module if they are connecting via wifi to CarPlay. Wired should prove or disprove if it's the gateway.

CarPlay connects wireless via wifi and not BT. The connection to the watch is bluetooth. BT is only used in the initial setup to pair the phone.

CarPlay uses Bluetooth to set up the connection between the phone and the vehicle and then it switches to use the WiFi for the actually functionality.

shigman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have issues with wired too...assuming it switches to wired once you plug it in. Im usually not quick enough to use wired before the phone auto connects.

smurfslayer

Reaction score
hey - what about apps running on the phone as well. Gateway module was in the back of my mind but, well, too many variables to say for sure.
I know we had some Jen Too trucks doing weird things with CarPlay too but, Jen Tres have all new hardware.

Maybe OP is too far from a starbucks?
( c’mon. we’re all thinking it )

Donmatteo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
hey - what about apps running on the phone as well. Gateway module was in the back of my mind but, well, too many variables to say for sure.
I know we had some Jen Too trucks doing weird things with CarPlay too but, Jen Tres have all new hardware.

Maybe OP is too far from a starbucks?
( c’mon. we’re all thinking it )
Some apps can cause the issue. Even if CarPlay doesnt/cant use it. Google Maps and Waze are the usual culprits for most of the issues.

smurfslayer

Reaction score
I do remember waze was doing some crazy stuff with navigation; positioning or ... speed ? was way, way off, they had to do an update.
I’d definitely add the apps to the list of things to cut down as a variable to troubleshoot.

I had a similar issue last week, customer complaining of weird errors after s/w update. My team escalates and gets to me. I look at the logs and they’re pretty ominous with dropped IUs, scrammed 1 out of 4 ports on the NIC. But the support guys didn’t get network data from host to switch and switch to server. When they did (of course, they didn’t even look at it) the data was LITTERED with CRC errors, FEC uncorrectable errors on SIX different servers, and of course the one they had the problem with - both ports had stratospheric errors.

So no... not a s/w upgrade issue, it’s a fix the network infrastructure issue like we told you 6 months ago, and a year ago and no more escalations until/unless you look at the network first and it’s actually good.

NJ2020

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Couple things to add, just plugging in does not switch to wired CarPlay. You either have to turn off Bluetooth and WiFi or reconfigure your device to not allow for wireless.

Also I must be in the minority to have very few issues with CarPlay or sync in general. I’ve had one sync crash (restart) in my 2.5+ years with the truck that immediately followed an OTA update. I’ve never had to hard reset sync. Anecdotal, but I’ve had zero battery issues and my truck seems to receive regular updates - maybe some connection to sync working as intended.

The only issue that seems unavoidable are RFI spots in town that cause CarPlay to disconnect. I also have had a few occurrences that seem to be iPhone related with either Bluetooth or WiFi handoff. There’s been a handful of times where Bluetooth connection is delayed, or I’ll need to select devices in sync and click the connect to CarPlay icon. The easiest way is just turning WiFi and Bluetooth off and on via the iPhone. It usually happens when I’m in and out of the truck to move it so maybe connecting to other car or home WiFi.

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score
use wired car play.....wireless is so flaky....even in my cars where wireless is a thing...I turn it off and use wired