Cold Start issue with Whipple

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bsimms89

Reaction score
Anyone else's whippled truck have trouble starting when it's very cold out. I finished my install back in march or April and we had a mild winter so it never got too cold the rest of the time and the trucks been running fine since.

This morning after some snow last night while it was 25 degrees out (still not super cold) I went to remote start it and it started, stuttered a little then shut off after a few seconds. I waited a minute and hit the remote start and it did the same thing again, I then went out to the truck and tried starting it with the key and it did the same thing. Next try I started it and gave it some gas and it stayed running, I let off the gas after about 5 seconds or so cause it sounded ok but it instantly died. Then I tried one last time, I gave it a little throttle to keep it around 1500 rpms, then once my AFR gauge started reading after about 30 seconds I let off the gas and it was fine. It's never done this before, has anyone else ever had a similar issue?

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Sounds like you need to clean the MAF sensor.
Driving in the winter you have to pay more attention to the filter and the MAF.
The slush mist that comes off of vehicles in front of you is not friendly to the intake.
I have two S&B air filters and change them more often in winter months if the roads or full of salt and brine and slushy.
You can also get a sock for the filter, it does help a little.
I don't really use it much, it does rob some power.

Also how's the battery?
I've had issues with the batteries when it got really cold out even though the battery was only a couple of years old.
Haven't had a problem since I bought the Oyssey 65-PC1750T

Last edited:

Canuck714

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My friends whippled 5.0 did this same thing, we thought it was the MAF so we cleaned and got it going.
His tune was also not great. Since remapping it has never done it again and i dont think he has touched the MAF, so not 100% sure it was just the MAF