Clunking sound on Gen 3 too

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jpl291

Reaction score
I just want to add in - Ford is escalating the issue. The fact that the Eng. hotline knows this is isolated to the shocks tells you they’ve narrowed down the possible causes and now they can work on a resolution.

You don’t want to browbeat the service department to replace parts because you may very well end up with another clunky unit. OR you may not but it’s probably going to be some time until the supplier can spin up enough parts to replace the defective units with --known-- good ones.

After the 2014 tsunami, many hard drive inventories fell to perilously low levels. Seagate, at the same time had a series of drives - barracuda IIRC that were failing at an abnormally high rate. Unfortunately, they were the only drives in inventory at times and customers getting replacement hard drives were often getting the same part, which would eventually fail much faster than normal.

so at least in this case the shocks work, they’re just unacceptably loud. Log the complaint as @FordTechOne indicated so that Ford knows there are common and many similar complaints and they’ll address it.
Do you have to go to the dealer to log it with Ford tech one?

Would be nice if we could send something as a group or submit it on are own especially since we know the dealer isn’t going to do anything at this point.

Last edited:

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Do you have to go to the dealer to log it with Ford tech one?

Would be nice if we could send something as a group or submit it on are own especially since we know the dealer isn’t going to do anything at this point.

I can’t submit to hotline, the dealer needs to open a request for assistance and provide the details of the concern.

CenTexRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can’t submit to hotline, the dealer needs to open a request for assistance and provide the details of the concern.
@jpl291 @FordTechOne I sent an email to my service tech I am trying to set an appointment with, asked if he could submit it before I brought it in. He said no, they had to "to have a technician verify the noise before we can contact Hotline". Since it seems it will be days before they can work me in, I had hoped to get a start on it, but apparently not.

Ryno8551

Reaction score
Have you noticed as the weather is warmer it is much more subtle?

I am noticing it.
Yes it seems more noticeable when it’s warmer. I got my truck in march and didn’t notice it until a few weeks after I got it and it warmed up. I tried every drive/damper mode and no difference. Going to go back to dealer and I’m sure they will say it’s normal.

CenTexRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes it seems more noticeable when it’s warmer. I got my truck in march and didn’t notice it until a few weeks after I got it and it warmed up. I tried every drive/damper mode and no difference. Going to go back to dealer and I’m sure they will say it’s normal.
of course, if it was normal, ALL the shocks/mounts/etc would make the noise, not just one. I am convinced only the passenger rear is making the noise.

nbb1013

Reaction score
I just want to add in - Ford is escalating the issue. The fact that the Eng. hotline knows this is isolated to the shocks tells you they’ve narrowed down the possible causes and now they can work on a resolution.

You don’t want to browbeat the service department to replace parts because you may very well end up with another clunky unit. OR you may not but it’s probably going to be some time until the supplier can spin up enough parts to replace the defective units with --known-- good ones.

After the 2014 tsunami, many hard drive inventories fell to perilously low levels. Seagate, at the same time had a series of drives - barracuda IIRC that were failing at an abnormally high rate. Unfortunately, they were the only drives in inventory at times and customers getting replacement hard drives were often getting the same part, which would eventually fail much faster than normal.

so at least in this case the shocks work, they’re just unacceptably loud. Log the complaint as @FordTechOne indicated so that Ford knows there are common and many similar complaints and they’ll address it.
Yes, this^

I got all my paperwork back from the dealer and it does say that they recognize this “clunk”, or however it was stated, as an issue and that they have engaged Ford Engineering. It is not normal vehicle operation.

For what it’s worth, I have a lot of respect for my dealer so I am going rely on them to let me know next steps - they did say after speaking with Ford Engineering that they are hoping to have a potential solve in a “month-ish”

They (Ford Engineering via the dealer) also said to not replace the struts (they narrowed it down to them) as the believe a new set will replicate the issue.

Basically wait for the solve, and we will fix it then.

It’s nice to have the issue heard and some action taken regardless of what the outcome may be at this point.

Touringchef

Reaction score
What I am saying is it is much less noticiable i warmer weather. When its cold is when it is borderline unbearable, and I want to drive straight into a cement wall. Today in the 70s here and was barely noticeble sound and feel.