Clunking sound on Gen 3 too

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Touringchef

Reaction score
This is such an issue, I am surprised they are not escalating this. I am tired of it already for how much everyone is paying for these trucks. I drove an XLT the other day and was the tightest suspension and smoothest ride.
The only way they do is if all of us continue to complain to the dealer IMO. I am going back to mine soon.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The only way they do is if all of us continue to complain to the dealer IMO. I am going back to mine soon.

Complaining to the dealer will do nothing, they can’t fix a part design issue. Ask them to contact Ford through Tech Hotline. Since not every truck/shock seems to have the issue, Ford engineering may think they’re addressing a smaller affected population than there actually is. The more reports, the more expedited the resolution should be.

Touringchef

Reaction score
I have done that and have another meeting with the dealer. I am not satisfied with the paperwork i received regarding the issue.

CenTexRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I reached out to a dealer contact, he submitted a request to hotline for assistance with this issue. They told him the noise is isolated to the shocks, and that engineering is working on a solution and to monitor OASIS for updates. They advised not to replace parts at this time, since they would be the same as the existing shocks until the new part numbers are released. When a service message is released on OASIS I’ll post it here.

TLDR: Its not normal, engineering is working on it, don’t sell your truck.
@FordTechOne Thanks for your rational response, as always. Do you know if there has been any kind of reference number that we can refer a tech to? I need to schedule the trailer recall fix, and had hoped to have some more info. Rather than a bunch of us calling with a "clunking noise" it would surely be better if we could say we "are experiencing the problem described in item #?????" and get a large number referring to it. Thoughts?

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
@FordTechOne Thanks for your rational response, as always. Do you know if there has been any kind of reference number that we can refer a tech to? I need to schedule the trailer recall fix, and had hoped to have some more info. Rather than a bunch of us calling with a "clunking noise" it would surely be better if we could say we "are experiencing the problem described in item #?????" and get a large number referring to it. Thoughts?

No problem. The responses from hotline are case by case, as they have internal information not available to dealers for various reasons. Once an official service message is released, there will be a reference number. At this point in the process it’s best for the dealer to open a request with Hotline to document each customer with the issue. The more reports, the faster the service fix should come.

Touringchef

Reaction score
I am going back to my dealer for this. They are as perplexed as we are. But i definetly want all the details on my paperwork which they were not this last visit. I will post when i get it.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
I just want to add in - Ford is escalating the issue. The fact that the Eng. hotline knows this is isolated to the shocks tells you they’ve narrowed down the possible causes and now they can work on a resolution.

You don’t want to browbeat the service department to replace parts because you may very well end up with another clunky unit. OR you may not but it’s probably going to be some time until the supplier can spin up enough parts to replace the defective units with --known-- good ones.

After the 2014 tsunami, many hard drive inventories fell to perilously low levels. Seagate, at the same time had a series of drives - barracuda IIRC that were failing at an abnormally high rate. Unfortunately, they were the only drives in inventory at times and customers getting replacement hard drives were often getting the same part, which would eventually fail much faster than normal.

so at least in this case the shocks work, they’re just unacceptably loud. Log the complaint as @FordTechOne indicated so that Ford knows there are common and many similar complaints and they’ll address it.

Bmwtech113

Reaction score
I just left the dealer after going on a test drive with the service manager. He heard/felt the noise but was giving me the “they all do it, it’s normal” type of answer. He did say he would reach out to the field rep and see what Ford had to say. I mentioned this forum and what FordTechOne had posted yesterday about Ford pinpointing this to the struts. I also put my set of chassis ears on the coil spring and let the service manager hear the issue through that. It’s very obvious with the chassis ears.
I had already replaced the upper strut mount with no change. I then added felt tape around both ends of the coil springs and applied felt tape between the strut mount and the frame. That did dampen the noise and feel of the issue but definitely still there.