Clunking sound on Gen 3 too

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ryan33

Reaction score
I just got a call from my dealer too that my shock is in and its going in tomorrow. I think I was the first person to report the issue to Ford. At that time, they told me the part is on indefinite backorder and I should not expect it before Summer of 2022. Ford customer care also confirmed that they dont have an eta, but that it has been escalated as high as it can go. One of two things happened....we all put enough pressure on Ford and they decided to use production line parts for warranty repairs, or Fox caught up and provided more shocks to ford for warranty repairs. Whatever the case, Im glad we are getting access to parts for repair. Now let's hope they ship us functioning shocks and not the same effective replacements.
This is awesome to hear!!!!!! I bet FORD is finally listening to the several complaints through dealers and maybe reading this forum! Good luck everyone

Ryan33

Reaction score
Bad news guys. Both rear FOX shocks were replaced yesterday at my dealership. The issue with the rattling/vibration is still there. The FORD technician even admitted still hearing and feeling the issue after the shocks had been replaced. They are claiming that it sounds like it's coming from the front of the vehicle.... I took my truck and left. I'm unfortunately going to wait this out before continuing to lend my truck to Ford as an experiment.

V8 Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bad news guys. Both rear FOX shocks were replaced yesterday at my dealership. The issue with the rattling/vibration is still there. The FORD technician even admitted still hearing and feeling the issue after the shocks had been replaced. They are claiming that it sounds like it's coming from the front of the vehicle.... I took my truck and left. I'm unfortunately going to wait this out before continuing to lend my truck to Ford as an experiment.
Thanks for the update. It's obviously possible that some trucks could have bad rear shocks, but I am certain the clunk is coming from the front of my truck. And on top of that, it seems to originate from the passenger side (mostly if not all), but as everyone has indicated, the floor and pedals vibrate as a result.

V8 Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know why I never thought to look in the G2 forum (probably because I didn't have an issue with my G2), but FWIW, I found this thread.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The cost of those shocks alone should get someone's attention at corporate. Hopefully they release some kind of service message; they will typically be along the lines of "If *** concern exists...do not replace parts at this time. Engineering is investigating."

Last edited:

Ryan33

Reaction score
The cost of those shocks alone should get someone's attention at corporate. Hopefully they release some kind of service message; they will typically be along the lines of "If *** concern exists...do not replace parts at this time. Engineering is investigating.
Without a doubt. My service advisor told me a single FOX shock is $1,800.00 and for them to replace both rear shocks and not solve the issue is a waste of money although at least the dealership is trying. I'm leaning towards the drive shaft being responsible for the noise since the shocks were ruled out and the few videos floating around out there of the show the play and movement in the drive shaft. I spoke with a few mechanically inclined individuals who said that if there is any which is normal that a rubber housing or sleeve is usually used to dampen the movement/ noise. Anyone else understand this?

Antho

FRF Addict
Reaction score
For anyone that is curious.

***REAR***
Rear Upper control arm torque: 173 LB.FT
Rear Lower control arm torque: 173 LB.FT
Rear Panhard bar torque: 173 LB.FT
Rear Shock Lower bolt torque: 76 LB.FT
Rear Shock Upper bolt torque: 76 LB.FT

Attachments

• Lower Arm.pdf
    946.8 KB · Views: 27
  • Upper Arm.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 6
  • Panhard.pdf
    854.1 KB · Views: 7
  • Rear Shock.pdf
    527.9 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Shaheen J

Reaction score
Well I got both rear shocks replaced yesterday. The noise is certainly less but not gone. It still has a clunk and it still sounds like it’s coming from the front. They used electronic ears on all the suspension parts and nothing so it has to be driveline. I’m going to try to diagnose it myself because the ford techs say it’s normal, and it’s not. The transfer case, driveline and front differential are the same parts on all f150s and they don’t have the driveline noise. Therefore you don’t need to compare it to another raptor to know that the driveline should not be making this noise.