Clunking sound on Gen 3 too

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

riv

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so if a chock blows out and is smashed in a car crash the truck is
Truck is in the dealer and they said the play in driveshaft is not normal. They plan on keeping the truck for a few days. Let’s see what they say! Fingers crossed
let us know what they do for that!

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
That was my argument to the Ford customer care person that is escalating for me. The reality is if fox is that far behind and is starting to learn that they provided defective parts, it may start to impact production or make Ford switch to another shock manufacturer. I also don’t think Ford is going to forgo selling a 80k truck because it needs to give its shocks to a truck they already sold. Unfortunately their legal department will determine that it is better for them to knowingly sell a defective truck and collect new revenue and deal with the cases that come later.

It’s just business and I get it. I just don’t like it.

Sounds like a lemon law situation to me.

The stated justification is also absurd. If Fox can provide shocks for new production, they can also provide shocks for warranty repairs. At the cost of reducing the new production rate, if necessary.

These posts are entirely speculation. For all we know Ford/Fox has identified the issue in production and trucks currently being built don’t exhibit the issue. Or Fox may be in process of determining root cause/course of action and Ford is installing current stock to keep the line going. And no, they’re not going to switch manufacturers on a product that is integral to the vehicles performance and design. Regardless, every supplier is backed up due to everything from labor to chip shortages.

If any manufacturer stopped the production line to allocate parts for sold vehicles for a simple noise complaint, they’d be out of business tomorrow. This isn’t a safety or emissions compliance issue, it’s an annoyance.

Just because the shocks, or what is believed to be the shocks, exhibit a noise does not mean they are necessary “defective”. It could as simple as an issue within the live valve calibration causing the noise at the top of travel. We don’t know at this point. The best course of action is to document it with your dealer. Ford will then be made aware via warranty claims (whether parts installed or NPF) and contacts to the hotline. Those metrics are a huge driver in getting engineering to open an investigation, determine root cause, and provide a corrective action.

Last edited:

WestTXRaptor6

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dropping mine off 12/9 to diagnose and also fix Reverse Brake Assist fault.
Ordering 2022 F250 in case the clunk fix is long term wait or they say it’s normal.

Hemmy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dropping mine off 12/9 to diagnose and also fix Reverse Brake Assist fault.
Ordering 2022 F250 in case the clunk fix is long term wait or they say it’s normal.
I was backing up yesterday and I got a warning about reverse brake assist not activated or something like that. It has popped up a couple of times for me randomly. Is this what your situation is with it?

OP
OP
S

Shaheen J

Reaction score
These posts are entirely speculation. For all we know Ford/Fox has identified the issue in production and trucks currently being built don’t exhibit the issue. Or Fox may be in process of determining root cause/course of action and Ford is installing current stock to keep the line going. And no, they’re not going to switch manufacturers on a product that is integral to the vehicles performance and design. Regardless, every supplier is backed up due to everything from labor to chip shortages.

If any manufacturer stopped the production line to allocate parts for sold vehicles for a simple noise complaint, they’d be out of business tomorrow. This isn’t a safety or emissions compliance issue, it’s an annoyance.

Just because the shocks, or what is believed to be the shocks, exhibit a noise does not mean they are necessary “defective”. It could as simple as an issue within the live valve calibration causing the noise at the top of travel. We don’t know at this point. The best course of action is to document it with your dealer. Ford will then be made aware via warranty claims (whether parts installed or NPF) and contacts to the hotline. Those metrics are a huge driver in getting engineering to open an investigation, determine root cause, and provide a corrective action.
Here are the facts:
1. The Raptor tech came out and diagnosed the rear shock as defective. It took two days of work but that was the outcome.

2. My dealer said that they don’t have an eta on the part as there are zero available in their system nationwide and to escalate to ford customer care

3. Escalating to customer care three times and then to a supervisor in customer care, they told me it may be more than twelve months. It’s escalated as far up as it can go but the supplier is behind. On my last call with them, the supervisor said they are aware that this is a “growing” problem as it’s been reported by others but the answer hasn’t changed.

4. I called Fox directly to see if I could just order the shock from them and just pay for it myself. They said they are very backed up and that they would not be able to fulfill until 2023.

5. This problem is on both 35s and 37s that were produced as early as August all the way through this month.

6. Production has slowed down to a halt. People with 21 orders have been told they won’t get produced until 22. 22 orders have been delayed. Shocks were not specifically mentioned but the delay has been blamed on a supply chain constraint.

Here is the Speculation:
Good news is it’s not every truck. It’s just not good news for the trucks affected.

Yes you are correct that it’s not a safety issue and an annoyance….but when you buy a new 84k truck that you have been waiting for for 7 months and it sounds like the crap is falling apart right when you get it, it’s fairly disappointing.

And you are right that no one on this forum knows how many shocks Ford had in the bin that are not defective. Who knows what supply chain ford and fox are working on together.

Who knows if a ford or fox engineer are working on it.

And totally agreed they wouldn’t stop producing them unless there was a major safety concern. This is not a safety concern.

DoKnowHarm

Reaction score
To those that have identified this issue when was your truck production date and date you received your truck? We should start tracking if they are selling known defective trucks.

BellHeli407

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Posted in another thread, but I measured all 4 corners and my left rear is over 3/4 of an inch lower than the right. Visible from looking at the truck sitting in the garage. Measured on level pavement

OP
OP
S

Shaheen J

Reaction score
To those that have identified this issue when was your truck production date and date you received your truck? We should start tracking if they are selling known defective trucks.
This is the right way to track it...

Mine was built 9/21 delivered 10/6/21. Its a 35" model. Rear shocks clunked day one with 4 miles on the ODO. Got worse over time now with 2,500 on the ODO.