Clunking sound on Gen 3 too

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

aileron

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a lemon law situation to me.

The stated justification is also absurd. If Fox can provide shocks for new production, they can also provide shocks for warranty repairs. At the cost of reducing the new production rate, if necessary.

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score

The stated justification is also absurd. If Fox can provide shocks for new production, they can also provide shocks for warranty repairs. At the cost of reducing the new production rate, if necessary.
If Fox can provide only a certain number of shocks, Ford has a dilemma. Fix defective customer units or ship product and book the revenue. I know which way the bean counters will vote and they run the company. The only cure I can see is to use social media as leverage to make the problem very, very visible. Which might get trucks already shipped fixed at the expense of everyone who is waiting. What a mess.

riv

Full Access Member
Reaction score
not only do my rear shocks clunk, my front do as well. not quite sure how we all handle this. I have found no avenues as to how to contact someone at Ford directly.

JasonSTL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The clunking I hear when driving is coming from the front driveshaft where it exits the transfer case. My rear shocks make noise if I bounce hard in the truck but that’s not the annoying noise I’m hearing when driving. Mine feels like it’s in the front end, below my feet, which is where the transfer case driveshaft is. I’m not sure the rear shocks are bad at all. Video below.
View attachment FullSizeRender.mov

OP
OP
S

Shaheen J

Reaction score

That was my argument to the Ford customer care person that is escalating for me. The reality is if fox is that far behind and is starting to learn that they provided defective parts, it may start to impact production or make Ford switch to another shock manufacturer. I also don’t think Ford is going to forgo selling a 80k truck because it needs to give its shocks to a truck they already sold. Unfortunately their legal department will determine that it is better for them to knowingly sell a defective truck and collect new revenue and deal with the cases that come later.

It’s just business and I get it. I just don’t like it.

OP
OP
S

Shaheen J

Reaction score
The clunking I hear when driving is coming from the front driveshaft where it exits the transfer case. My rear shocks make noise if I bounce hard in the truck but that’s not the annoying noise I’m hearing when driving. Mine feels like it’s in the front end, below my feet, which is where the transfer case driveshaft is. I’m not sure the rear shocks are bad at all. Video below.
View attachment 329848
Good news is that the drive shaft play can easily be fixed by the dealer. The bad news is that when they fix it, if your shocks are bad, your still going to hear a clunk and it will sound like it’s coming from the front, even if it’s coming from the back. Sorry to hear you got a double whammy. I guess that is why Ford dropped their slogan of “Quality is Job 1” for “Built Ford Tough”. The truck is so tough it will run with bad shocks and excess lash in the front dif.

riv

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good news is that the drive shaft play can easily be fixed by the dealer. The bad news is that when they fix it, if your shocks are bad, your still going to hear a clunk and it will sound like it’s coming from the front, even if it’s coming from the back. Sorry to hear you got a double whammy. I guess that is why Ford dropped their slogan of “Quality is Job 1” for “Built Ford Tough”. The truck is so tough it will run with bad shocks and excess lash in the front dif.
what did they do for the drive shaft play?

JasonSTL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what did they do for the drive shaft play?
I don’t think anyone has had it fixed yet. There’s another thread on here where some people have appointments but no results yet.

I don’t think the shocks make any noise on my truck in the scenarios where I hear the driveshaft rattle. These are small undulations or joints in the pavement. I have to bounce the bed 5” or more to get the shocks to make noise. I think the driveshaft fix, if there is one, is all I need.