Clunking sound on Gen 3 too

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tm965

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That’s the vehicle production cutoff date, not the shock production cut off date. The new shocks needed to be in production well before the plant could switch over to the new part number.
interestingly enough i checked my front shocks after making this post and i have the latest part codes. hoping its just the cold weather causing some noise--its not near what it was with the shocks that came on the vehicle

relak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just picked mine back up from the dealer, they confirmed the rear shocks are the culprit. they’re on back order but will be replaced when they arrive.

What gets me is that even after all the back and forth with the front shocks and ultimately having the foreman do the work himself, they still had a lower level tech do the diagnosis. When the tech did the test drive, he claims to not notice a clunk that IM hearing but he notices a clunk that he feels is normal operation based on some ******** theory. See what the tech wrote below, the sarcasm in their write up really ****** me off for some reason.

—————————————————

“1. Customer statement of problem

Customer States SUSPENSION DIAGNOSIS. At low speeds going over bumps there is a knocking noise coming from rear. Please check and advise.

DIAGSUSP -
1 -- Correction/Action Taken

Drove vehicle over a wide variety of terrains at multiple speeds.

Highway driving no issues.

Backroads no issues.

Driving in the "back field" very bumpy terrain, no issues.

In the parking lot under 10 mph doing a hard reverse with a twisting turn, there is a slight click from the rear. This may be from the Axle Bump Stop momentarily touching the rear axle, which is part of the design of the vehicle.

This same sound is intermittently noticebaly at very low speeds going over larger bumps.

I would consider this to be a normal function of the vehicle's rear suspension.

I do not belive SSM 50972 would apply to this vehicle at this time.

Smoothest ride on a Raptor I have felt yet, it's amazing that an F150 can ride so smooth.”

————————————————————-

Now I get that everyone has their own opinion but the guy even said he could hear the noise but arbitrarily assumes it’s associated to some bump stops touching. He doesn’t do any additional testing to confirm it, he says that it’s normal and the SSM doesn’t apply.

I’m glad the foreman had the mind to check for himself because immediately after the techs notes the work up has this written:

“Shop foreman took this truck for a final test drive. When one side of truck is on a washboard surface a clunk noise was observed. Shop foreman found the noise coming from rear shock absorbers.”

Ultimately they’re replacing both rear shocks but man am I tired of dealing with either lazy as shit techs or techs that just really don’t know what they’re doing. If they had come back to me without having the foreman check, I would have lost my shit. Thankfully that didn’t have to happen but I hope others who have similar experiences know how to deal with these situations and learn from experiences like this to get better results.

08EB388E-BE64-4A54-A581-6AFB07F5CAD6.jpeg

Bajaking

Reaction score
Hey guys anything new with this horrible rattle noise coming from the rear of the truck? Continuous rattling noise going over uneven surfaces. Very annoying. Definitely sounds like the right rear. And it sounds like it could be coming from where the bed mounts to the truck?

Bajaking

Reaction score
Every time I take somebody out, they ask me if my spare tire or trailer hitch is falling off. I’ve checked everything and nothing is loose. You can also definitely hear a thumping noise when you push the rear bumper up and down.

Bajaking

Reaction score
just picked mine back up from the dealer, they confirmed the rear shocks are the culprit. they’re on back order but will be replaced when they arrive.

What gets me is that even after all the back and forth with the front shocks and ultimately having the foreman do the work himself, they still had a lower level tech do the diagnosis. When the tech did the test drive, he claims to not notice a clunk that IM hearing but he notices a clunk that he feels is normal operation based on some ******** theory. See what the tech wrote below, the sarcasm in their write up really ****** me off for some reason.

—————————————————

“1. Customer statement of problem

Customer States SUSPENSION DIAGNOSIS. At low speeds going over bumps there is a knocking noise coming from rear. Please check and advise.

DIAGSUSP -
1 -- Correction/Action Taken

Drove vehicle over a wide variety of terrains at multiple speeds.

Highway driving no issues.

Backroads no issues.

Driving in the "back field" very bumpy terrain, no issues.

In the parking lot under 10 mph doing a hard reverse with a twisting turn, there is a slight click from the rear. This may be from the Axle Bump Stop momentarily touching the rear axle, which is part of the design of the vehicle.

This same sound is intermittently noticebaly at very low speeds going over larger bumps.

I would consider this to be a normal function of the vehicle's rear suspension.

I do not belive SSM 50972 would apply to this vehicle at this time.

Smoothest ride on a Raptor I have felt yet, it's amazing that an F150 can ride so smooth.”

————————————————————-

Now I get that everyone has their own opinion but the guy even said he could hear the noise but arbitrarily assumes it’s associated to some bump stops touching. He doesn’t do any additional testing to confirm it, he says that it’s normal and the SSM doesn’t apply.

I’m glad the foreman had the mind to check for himself because immediately after the techs notes the work up has this written:

“Shop foreman took this truck for a final test drive. When one side of truck is on a washboard surface a clunk noise was observed. Shop foreman found the noise coming from rear shock absorbers.”

Ultimately they’re replacing both rear shocks but man am I tired of dealing with either lazy as shit techs or techs that just really don’t know what they’re doing. If they had come back to me without having the foreman check, I would have lost my shit. Thankfully that didn’t have to happen but I hope others who have similar experiences know how to deal with these situations and learn from experiences like this to get better results.

View attachment 385953
My 2022 is doing the same thing. Every time somebody gets in for a ride they ask if the trailer hitch or spare tie is loose. Driving me crazy after spending almost 100K for a truck!!

So-Cal-Al-52

I Love Fossil Fuel
Reaction score
Hey guys anything new with this horrible rattle noise coming from the rear of the truck? Continuous rattling noise going over uneven surfaces. Very annoying. Definitely sounds like the right rear. And it sounds like it could be coming from where the bed mounts to the truck?
Yes, there is a fix, Take it to your dealer and have them order and replace the shocks. Have them diagnose with chassis ears and verify if it is front or back, or both. They will order and replace the shocks with the new updated shocks that don't have this issue. There is tons of info on this site regarding this if you search for it. Good luck.

SurfRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yes, there is a fix, Take it to your dealer and have them order and replace the shocks. Have them diagnose with chassis ears and verify if it is front or back, or both. They will order and replace the shocks with the new updated shocks that don't have this issue. There is tons of info on this site regarding this if you search for it. Good luck.
My Gen 3 was delivered to dealer in May. I immediately noticed the clunking noise. There are 80 plus pages of this thread. Does anyone know if there is a build date range for an easier dealer diagnosis. Most likely happens to vehicles built from Jan - May for example?

I also see many posts about front shocks being replaced but also rears. Could it be any of the 4 or is it mostly front or rear or even a single one like front passenger?

I'm taking my truck soon to dealer and would like to have all my info ready to go on this issue. Thanks for the help.

QCRappy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
dropped my truck off for the exhaust TSB, clunk suspension SSM and Carplay APIM update - advisor says we cant put the TSB and SSM numbers in the service request unless we can diagnose ourselves...fingers crossed

relak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
dropped my truck off for the exhaust TSB, clunk suspension SSM and Carplay APIM update - advisor says we cant put the TSB and SSM numbers in the service request unless we can diagnose ourselves...fingers crossed
If its your first time seeing them with the issue then I would recommend not bringing up any of the SSMs or TSBs, some dealers might see that as you having read about it somewhere and trying to get something fixed that isn't actually an problem. That said, if they don't find any issues the first check and you're 100% certain there is an problem, that's the time to say "look, I hear the clunk every day driving the truck and it's clearly an issue since I've seen others who have had their shocks replaced under SSM (blah), so please recheck using the information provided by Ford to properly diagnose the clunk"