Clunking sound on Gen 3 too

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If its your first time seeing them with the issue then I would recommend not bringing up any of the SSMs or TSBs, some dealers might see that as you having read about it somewhere and trying to get something fixed that isn't actually an problem. That said, if they don't find any issues the first check and you're 100% certain there is an problem, that's the time to say "look, I hear the clunk every day driving the truck and it's clearly an issue since I've seen others who have had their shocks replaced under SSM (blah), so please recheck using the information provided by Ford to properly diagnose the clunk"
This is a valid point. Dealers cannot write up an RO as “customer states perform TSB XX-XXXX.”. It needs to be written up by customer concern.

So in practice they should run the symptom code in the system, see the service message, and go from there. And to your point, if they call you back and say “no problem found” (NPF), then I would do exactly as you stated.

QCRappy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If its your first time seeing them with the issue then I would recommend not bringing up any of the SSMs or TSBs, some dealers might see that as you having read about it somewhere and trying to get something fixed that isn't actually an problem. That said, if they don't find any issues the first check and you're 100% certain there is an problem, that's the time to say "look, I hear the clunk every day driving the truck and it's clearly an issue since I've seen others who have had their shocks replaced under SSM (blah), so please recheck using the information provided by Ford to properly diagnose the clunk"
I hear you and definitely agree if this was the first time ever in. I bought my first raptor from there and they worked on the 2nd raptor

Bajaking

Reaction score
Yes, there is a fix, Take it to your dealer and have them order and replace the shocks. Have them diagnose with chassis ears and verify if it is front or back, or both. They will order and replace the shocks with the new updated shocks that don't have this issue. There is tons of info on this site regarding this if you search for it. Good luck.

QCRappy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good advice up there. Does anyone have a link for the exhause TSB? Is it for the rattle on cold starts? I have that too.
yes
TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN Rattle Noise From The Exhaust - Built On Or Before 06-Jun-2022 22-2388 19 December

Fordest Gump

Reaction score
I picked up my Gen3 last week with 4 miles on the Odometer. Right out of the gate, it has a clunking noise in the front suspension. One of those clunks that is loudest when going over small un-leved road under 40MPH. Sounds like sway bar end links, shock mounts or ball joints. It happens in all three suspension modes and all four steering modes. Dealer said they didnt have another one to drive and compare it to so just to drive it and see if it gets worse. I put 1,000 miles on it in a week as I had two trips planned. Its has gotten slight worse over 1000 miles. I dropped it off at the dealer today. They said it may just be designed this way but they are going to put electronic ears on each suspension part and drive it to determine where the noise is originating. Anyone else have this problem or am I the only lucky one?
Designed that way? Find a new dealer and fast. This is a well known issue. ******* Ford I swear it's a love hate relationship.

ELmx479

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got rear shocks on order for mine!

Fingers crossed

Definitely takes the enjoyment away from the truck.

GEN3LV

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My dealership Team Ford just replaced both my passenger side shocks and installed a set of Eibach 1" front leveling springs for me. Truck is 100% better no more clunking ride is really good just a slight bit stiffer than the stock but in a good way if that makes sense. I am super happy truck feel great now.