Clunking sound on Gen 3 too

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dspangler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What ever happened with the shock mounts. Someone was saying they talked to a dealer and the dealer had done several other shock mount replacements and that was the problem?
I believe that you are correct that recent posters did have these changed out and solved the issue. There is a part supply shortage of these currently, so that may be the holdup with info. I am honestly not sure if these are updated mounts (new PN from Ford) or if they just need a correct reinstall to actually fix. It was noted before on previous generations that had the clunk that the root cause was the shock mount. Tightening up the 'slop' proved to solve the problem. Others found that tightening the lower control arm was the solution.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have been using a torque multiplier to achieve the 406 ft-lbs. probably falls under the don’t do as I do as it isn’t the best solution but it seems to be getting the job done thus far.
Nothing wrong with a torque multiplier, that’s actually a good method. It’s almost a necessity working on trucks, especially HDs.