Clunking sound on Gen 3 too

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RamseyF

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yea he has no clue. obviously its not the same thing he's wrongly convinced it is. if it was others would have confirmed it was a fix and that hasn't happened yet to my knowledge.

dspangler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How about more detail

There are about 3 or 4 of the same posts in this thread from him. Always references an old thread about it that I haven't found. I spent $300 having the cam bolts replaced with heavy duty 12.9 grade hardware and torqued to spec. Made no difference and my clunk is not coming from the suspension according to 2 shops. Both thought it was driveshaft related. A transmission shop also agreed it was likely coming from the transfer case after they looked at it.

Link:
https://www.fordraptorforum.com/threads/front-end-clunk.50990/

JasonSTL

Full Access Member
Reaction score

RamseyF

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if you're not a mechanic who has worked on a gen3 or own one yourself and fixed it then why must you keep trying to tell us what it is. its a totally different truck than the gen 1. different shocks, frame, drivetrain etc everything about it is different. angles, locations of things etc. which means you are trying to compare apples to oranges. I think your trying to help but you're really not. its not the problem with everyone who is having the issues. it may be the problem for some of us but to have this many at very low miles odds are its a defective part or design.

riv

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So mine is now in the shop for the third time. I am being told the likely culprit is the undercarriage skid plate vibrating. They said there is no fix from Ford and tried to give the truck back to me. I said to remove it to make sure that's the issue and then to get a ford engineer involved. I'll keep you all posted.

RamseyF

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mine is still faint and only at low speeds. well I can only hear it at low speeds. but depending on the bumps I go over it sounds like its coming from all the corners at different time dependent on where the bump was I went over. ill be waiting for a fix before I take it in. I dont have the luxury of them having it for a week or longer to trouble shoot.

dspangler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As we’ve told you multiple times, that’s not the issue here. Referencing a thread for 1st Gen trucks that most owners of well-used trucks at that point had rebuilt or replaced their shocks complaining of noises is not relevant to brand new 3rd Gens where multiple people have told you it’s not the shocks or control arm bolts.
Really? You are not going to go from history on this same issue? That’s fine- enjoy your clunker. No pun intended.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Really? You are not going to go from history on this same issue? That’s fine- enjoy your clunker. No pun intended.
History shows you’re a Sasquatch and an troll. This issue has nothing to do with the factory lower control arm bolt torque. You’re trying to get Gen 3 members to chase a non-existent issue because you get some kind of enjoyment out of misleading people. You’re bitter, ignorant, and just plain pathetic.

@Kuan @Azrael @predatorraptor @Sasquatch77

riv

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well got my truck back. issue was not the skid plate. their "chasis ears" could not pin point anything, even though the service advisor acknowledged the sound/vibration on the test drive. I may just buy new front shocks for 3700 installed as I love the truck and is way cheaper than trading it for another one and paying sales tax once again.