CLOSED: SVT Engineers Roundtable: 07/24/10 - Chat Live with SVT Engineering!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SVTEngineers

Ford Professional
Reaction score
Kerry, thanks for taking the time to answer some questions. We appreciate it!!

What were the biggest Baja hurdles for the Raptor R during preparation as well as the race itself?

I know tube bumpers for the front and rear were initially offered via the Ford Racing catalog and were pulled prior to pricing them. Will these be offered in the future? If not, why?

There is a really nice video of the entire series of event leading up the the race in 2009 that does a nice job of describiing all of the problems. In general it was really getting the truck built and getting all of the bugs worked out of it before the race.

I do no know about the bumpers in the catalog. The front bumper is unique to Raptor, but the rear is a carry over F150.

SVTEngineers

Ford Professional
Reaction score
What changes had to be made (if any) to the regular F-150 production line in order to accommodate building the Raptor?

A lot. The biggest issue was getting the body to be able to go down the line. We had to literally move structural posts in places to allow enough space for the wider box outer to be able to pass down the line. This really was a huge task that none of us throught would be possible. Our Vehicle Operations team really helped us with this and would not have been done in the past if it was not for our "One Ford" mindset.

OP
OP
BigJ

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
There is a really nice video of the entire series of event leading up the the race in 2009 that does a nice job of describiing all of the problems. In general it was really getting the truck built and getting all of the bugs worked out of it before the race.
Here's a link to an extended version of the "Born in Baja" video I believe Kerry is referencing (its a huge download). This version goes into much greater detail than did the version that airs on SpeedTV: files.me.com/jasonwilliam/795vxe.mov

SVTEngineers

Ford Professional
Reaction score
Are there any plans to run a more production-like Raptor in the Baja 1000 and other like races? The Raptor R is an awesome truck but I cant really say my truck finished 3rd in the race.

On the rear axel there is a lift block supporting the leaf springs. Is there any reason you went with a lift block instead of something like a taller leaf pack?

What differences, if any, are there to the Raptors tire versus a regular BFG All Terratin?

I have heard rumors of a true long travel suspension in the Raptors early development that wasnt able to be put into street production for legal reasons. Can you give us some information about that?

No plans at this time for the Baja 1000. The lift block was used in order to make sure that we have the right amount of rear travel without over stressing the leaf springs while at the same time putting the jounce bumper interface in the right position. Regaring the tire, we took the already great BFG offroad tire and developed it for the Raptor. We put a lot of focus on making sure that it was exceptional for high speed desert running, but also good in the snow (changed the compound) and for tire noise. Regarding the long travel suspensions looked at, we looked at many iterations, but the one limit was how wide we could go. In order to keep the ball joint angles and leaf spring stresses to our design limitations, we had to widen the track width. We then had to make sure that we could get the trucks on both the semi trucks and rail cars out of the plant.

SVTEngineers

Ford Professional
Reaction score
Kerry, first of all, I would like to express my gratitude for you taking the time to participate in this chat and being part of paving the way for this type of vehicle in the production market. I will say that this is by far the most exciting, fun to drive vehicle I have ever owned.

My question, as a Ford certified technician, is in referrence to the 6R80 6-speed transmission. There has been much debate and (for lack of a better term) discontent with the operation of this transmission. Knowing transmissions and working on them for many years, the design of the 6R80 not having any bands or OWC's, seems to be operating within the normal functioning characteristics of it's design. Is Ford or the SVT team completely satisfied with the operation of this transmission or are some of the concerns with its shift quality being investigated?

Also if you could explain the reasoning behind the difference in modules and why the TCM is part of the mechatronic unit in the 5.4L application and incorporated in the PCM in the 6.2L application. Are there large differences in the programming between the two or are they similar?

Thank you, FSM06

We are very happy with the 6R80. It is a bullettproof transmission. Shift quality is a very difficult thing to get right for everyone. We continue to improve with our development. The reason for the differences is just the evolution of the Control system archetecture. The 5.4L system was designed and developed some time ago, and the 6.2L was able to benefit from the newer level of hardware and software available.

SVTEngineers

Ford Professional
Reaction score
First, as everyone else here does, I greatly appreciate this opportunity!

1. The Raptor is a limited production vehicle and going through all the emissions/mileage certifications from scratch would certainly not be cost effective... that said, is it possible that Ford might have used a slightly more "aggressive" engine tune with the 5.4 Raptor vs. the 5.4 engine tune used in other model trucks? (A simple "it's possible" or "no" would be good enough if you can't elaborate on any specifics)

2. What is the warranty on the Fox Shox? Are rebuild/spare parts going to be available through either Ford or Fox? Or will the shocks only be serviced as an assembly?

Thank you!

No. The 5.4L is a very well developed engine and calibration. Warranty for the Fox Shox is the same as 3/36. They are not rebuildable at this time. They have to be replaced with a new shock assy.

SVTEngineers

Ford Professional
Reaction score
I'll re-phrase my question if that helps, have the SVT team ever thought about making a unique key for their SVT vehicles similar to that used on the Harley trucks.

Yes. The new MyKey feature is a great option.

SVTEngineers

Ford Professional
Reaction score
I'd expect that the wheels on the Raptor have to be pretty strong. Many people like to change wheels. Are there any minimum load ratings or recommendations you can share for those who are interested in replacing their stock wheels with something from an aftermarket supplier?

Our wheels are designed to meet many different requirements that include ultimate strength and fatique. We also make sure that the wheel has the correct stiffness and modal response so that the truck will steer, handle, and be as quiet as possible for the life of the truck. Some aftermarket wheels do not.

Status
Not open for further replies.