CLOSED: SVT Engineers Roundtable: 07/24/10 - Chat Live with SVT Engineering!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

KaiserM715

Kaiser Söze
Reaction score
Can you give us an idea of some of the test areas used for the development for the Raptor (we have already heard quite a lot about Anza Borrrego and an area in Michigan)?

BentToast

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Last weekend in Anza Borrego I was out in the Raptor. It was 115 out and the trucks temp guage never moved. Has the Raptors cooling system been modified from the normal F150 and if so, how? Can you name examples of failures in testing?

SVTEngineers

Ford Professional
Reaction score
Ooops - sorry! I asked 6 questions and then read Jason's request to ask only one or two. My bad. And I asked questions about future products. Doh!

Thanks for taking time to interact with us. And thanks for providing us with a fantastic Raptor! Some questions (I know you're limited in what you can share with us but I have to ask...):

* Sway Bars - Offroad race trucks typically don't have anti-sway bars. We assume our Raptors have a front bar for the street. The Raptor sway bar limits wheel travel offroad and we think there are more benefits than drawbacks to disconnecting/removing them for offroad. (1) Has Ford given any thought to providing a quick-disconnect system on the Raptor and (2) what benefits, if any, does the sway bar provide when offroad?
Thanks for all of your questions. I will try to answer some of them:

* Agree with you regarding the front sta-bar. We do need the front sta-bar for on-road stability, steering, and handling. We have and will continue to look and evaluate different ways and systems to dis-connect the front sta-bar as we continue the development of the Raptor.

* IP Display - We'd like a better display for the variety of offroad related settings available to us (Offroad mode on, one press of AdvanceTrac, longer hold of AdvanceTrac, rear locker off or on, etc. We know the Ford Super Duty trucks have a new 4.2-inch LCD multifunction display placed in the instrument panel. This display allows the driver to customize settings and relays trip computer, fuel economy, towing and off-road information. Is Ford SVT going to provide a this display system in the 2011 MY truck and will it better communicate these offroad settings to the driver?
* There are lots of possibilities with the 4.3" LCD that we are looking at.

* SYNC System - SYNC is a terrific product and I'm sure it's enhancing Ford's ability to sell its product line once potential customers see what it can do. It has so much potential to do more for us Raptor owners when we're offroading. Is there any chance Ford will give SYNC more features to those of us who go offroad (Raptor owners, F-150, 250, 350 owners) such as enabling us to upload offroad trail and topo (topographical) maps, save routes to a USB drive, save breadcrumbs from previous trips, etc?
* Good suggestions regarding Sync.

* Ford Racing - When will more Ford Racing accessories be available? We know there's supposed to be a pre-runner front bar available. Will Ford make a rear bar and even a bed cage available? Will other products "trickle down" from the Raptor R?
* I know that there are a number of parts available through Ford Racing for the Raptor that include the light bar, lights, tow kit, a spare tire gate, skid plates, etc. I am not aware of any plans for some of the parts that you listed.

* Engine - Can you tell us if Ford will provide any other powerplants for the Raptor beyond the 6.2? We hoped the EcoBoost would be available but we've heard it won't be. How about an engine with even more power than the stock 6.2L? (A 500 HP motor would be a great gift for us!).

* Raptor-ized vehicles and an all-new vehicle - I would be very happy to add more Ford products to my driveway if Ford Raptor-ized the new Ranger and the Expedition. Even better would be an all-new Bronco that would blow the Jeep product line completely off the trails. Any chance of these products becoming available?]

I hope you will participate in our forum and stay in touch with us. We're giving you a lot of what we think is useful information and feedback on this great vehicle.

Thanks again for the Raptor (and for the first Raptor Roundup - we hope you'll soon be scheduling more) and for this opportunity to talk to you. Please say hello to Alan Mullaly for us!
* I unfortunately can not say anything about future products. We are evaluating everything that we have within the Ford stable.

Thanks for all of your questions.

SVTEngineers

Ford Professional
Reaction score
Last weekend in Anza Borrego I was out in the Raptor. It was 115 out and the trucks temp guage never moved. Has the Raptors cooling system been modified from the normal F150 and if so, how? Can you name examples of failures in testing?

The cooling system is very Robust on the Raptor. We have been in the desert many times in temps like you saw. There are minor differences in the 5.4L (grill opening area and sealing) and a number of differences with the 6.2L cooling sytem (radiator, fan, grill opening area).

OP
OP
BigJ

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I just spoke with Kerry and he's going to take a couple extra minutes and try and answer one or two more questions for us!

SVTEngineers

Ford Professional
Reaction score
what was one of your more memorable moments in designing the Raptor

Wow. Too many to list! Everything from the 1st durability test that we ran in Borrego to trying to keep the Raptor undercover as long as possible, and the reaction of the media and you (our customers) of the trucks.

SVTEngineers

Ford Professional
Reaction score
Can you give us an idea of some of the test areas used for the development for the Raptor (we have already heard quite a lot about Anza Borrrego and an area in Michigan)?

We have been to many places for many different tests. We wanted to make sure that the Raptor was exceptional in the higher speed desert running, but also very capable in all other off-road Terrain's like snow, mud, water, etc. We have spent time in the Moab, Drummand Island in Michigan, and Yellowknife.

OP
OP
BigJ

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
And with that, the first SVT Engineering Round Table has come to a close.

Needless to say, thank you all for making this event a productive and successful one. Your questions were on point and appropriate. Kerry expressed to me his appreciation for them, as well as his regret he wasn't able to answer some in as much detail as he might like. However, I think we can all understand the position he's in, and I know I found the answers he was able to give to be very informative.

I'd personally like to extend a very special thank you to Kerry Baldori, SVT Engineering, Mark Grueber and the Ford F150 Marketing department for making this a reality. On behalf of all of us at SVTOffroad.com, you have our sincere appreciation!

Status
Not open for further replies.