Cheap transmission cooler mod.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BlueOvalF22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got a hold of one of the 6.0 Powerstroke transcoolers, an aftermarket replacement for 5C3Z7A095CA

I'll have to fab and weld up some brackets but I already have the welding gear and some metal.

~$130 for the 6.0 PSD cooler which is much larger than even the Saudi cooler.

71Fb5uj1szL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

When I drop the pan to do fluid and filter I am going to install this drain plug kit on the stock pan. I'll probably tack weld the inner nut to the pan.

51Uyv0RYsxL._AC_.jpg

I'll update with pics when its done.

OP
OP
B

BlueOvalF22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The $300 + aluminum transmission pans are low gains for the dollar when the transmission has a thermostat.

Yes, the increased volume takes longer to heat up but that isn't always a good thing.

Having more cooler capacity is better than more pan capacity.

I'm also going to look into relocating and repurposing the stock Raptor transmission cooler as a power steering cooler.

BenBB

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also interested, post it up! P/S in series with stock cooler? I hate that transmission pans rarely have drain plugs, have considered the same on mine and added to previous vehicles.

OP
OP
B

BlueOvalF22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm with you on the pans without plugs.

I'm tempted to study pictures of the stock pan and with it removed and drilling a small hole in the pan to drain it and as a pilot for the plug kit.

On other vehicles with big oil filters I just drilled a drain hole in the filter.

On this one for the oil filter I just put a magnet on the OEM filter drip funnel and stuck it to the side of my tool box for storage so I won't break it offroad.

With the PS cooler, yes through the OE PS cooler then through the repurposed trans cooler.

If it turns out super trick I'll make a fixture to clamp them up on my welding table to crank them out as kits, if I fab brackets retaining the OEM 6.0 cooler mount locations, a OEM or aftermarket OE style 26 row, 31 row or even a Morimoto 6.0 PSD cooler will all bolt it.

I'll need to look into the Whipple heat exchangers so I design something that will work with that too.

Probably a single design that can either bolt or weld in.

I think 1Gen is more fun because it's no cares when you dovetail the bed, chop the bumper horns, or weld-on trackbars or something.

With the rare rain/snow and my literal puddle jumping the truck was dirty and a guy at the gas station said it was the first time he's seen a dirty Raptor and his brothers with the $1000 a month payment on his new one has never been dirty.

BenBB

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Haha yeah but I can’t blame them when they shelled out $60-70k :D How close is the width to stock/Saudi trans cooler? Adapting to factory mounting would be ideal, just IMHO. On the drain plug, bottom of pan (susceptible to impact) or like rear vertical (can’t drain fully but better than oil bath)?

OP
OP
B

BlueOvalF22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Every pro install I have seen with the plug kits is side.

No way is the stock cooler mount going to work for the 6.0 cooler.

The mounting tab hole locations are the same on this upgrade for a 6.o and 7.3

The Mishimoto is wider, hose barbs are the same width apart and its a 37 row and the budget one I got is a 31 row.

Either are HUGE compared to the Saudi cooler.

maxresdefault.jpg

OP
OP
B

BlueOvalF22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
136664850_10157960638548660_6670491228878832712_o.jpg

I told you it's big.