Factory Power Steering Cooler?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jhollowell

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been reading posts about power steering upgrades and adding coolers or going aftermarket with pumps and reservoirs. I looked at mine today and the fluid is pretty dark so it needs to be replaced so i figured maybe I'll add a cooler while I'm in there. But as i looked closer it appears the PS already has a rather large cooler in front of the radiator and is the same size as the radiator. I bought the truck used but the radiator looks OEM so I'm curious why people put additional coolers or upgrade to larger reservoirs. seems like a PS cooler the size of the coolant radiator should be more than enough? Am i missing something

OP
OP
Jhollowell

Jhollowell

Full Access Member
Reaction score
here's a few pics. The dirty silver one is the engine coolant. the one on the left with the foam has the PS lines going in and out.

IMG_5863.jpegIMG_5864.jpeg

OP
OP
Jhollowell

Jhollowell

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's a few more pics

Trans cooler is the little one in front. PS is just behind it and the Engine coolant is behind the PS.
IMG_5865.jpeg

Large line goes to PS Pump. Smaller line with 90 degree bend goes to the cooler. Then the hardline comes out and goes down to the pump.
IMG_5866.jpeg
IMG_5867.jpegIMG_5868.jpeg

BlueOvalF22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd just get the Lee power steering upgrade.

I have a 2010 and the cast iron pump made it to about 180,000 miles after I added a big cooler and multiple fluid changes.

Since I put in the lee pump, filter, and reservoir the fluid stays clear and cool and the steering performs better.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the cooler in front is not entirely for the power steering. its also the ac condenser. theres an internal seperator. its shared space. if you are hard on your steering, then you can replace it/add to it, but that depends on your driving skill/habits.

OP
OP
Jhollowell

Jhollowell

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the cooler in front is not entirely for the power steering. its also the ac condenser. theres an internal seperator. its shared space. if you are hard on your steering, then you can replace it/add to it, but that depends on your driving skill/habits.

Good to know. Im not hard on it and don’t do a lot of heavy off road driving. Plus it doesn’t get that hot here so im not in as extreme conditions as the desert guys. I’ll probably do a flush for now