Ceramic coating

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jtnuge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is my first vehicle ever coated so I'm new to this stuff. I do like it so far. Mine is garage kept at home. It is a daily driver all year around. Bad winters and all. It has not had much care since winter has hit. Just a rinse at the local car wash. Time will tell if I get my next vehicle done or not.

ademarco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve had Opti-Coat on all my cars and it makes it sheet water and reduce time to clean. Paint has lasted longer than without the application of similar aged cars. I need to find a good ceramic coaster in Vegas. Looks like price ranges from $1500-$2500.

heffneil

Reaction score
Well I had terrible high spots and the installer blamed the product. He came back and basically taped off those areas and left a real mess. I couldn't be more disappointed. I complained to him and optimum. I got no help from optimum. The correction is so poor that I told the guy I don't think he is capable of fixing the problems. He didn't like that and took it personally but its the case....

I registered opticoatsucks.com . I might use it....

NMSports

Reaction score
After XPel Ultimate on all the front surfaces and B pillars, I did CQuartz UK myself.
No paint correction needed (I did not let dealer wash or prep the truck).
2 bucket wash (foam cannon, rinse, then wash with dawn soap); then XPel; then same wash 3 weeks later; then Iron-X (wasn't really needed).

IMO this was easier than waxing. No white residue, no white stuff on black trim, won't have to redo for 2 years. This was my first ceramic coating application and i had no issues whatsoever. Did 2 coats on the satin stuff (fender flares and appliqué) because they don't absorb it as evenly. I would really recommend trying DIY if you had been nervous (as long as you were already a competent DIY detailer this is not hard at all). I might throw on another coat in a few months if I have a few hours to kill (unlikely).

How do pro-installers even mess this up? Probably by having the trainee do it instead of the trained person. Or gooping it on trying to go fast. No idea. Seems foolproof.

TripleE44

Reaction score
After XPel Ultimate on all the front surfaces and B pillars, I did CQuartz UK myself.

No paint correction needed (I did not let dealer wash or prep the truck).

2 bucket wash (foam cannon, rinse, then wash with dawn soap); then XPel; then same wash 3 weeks later; then Iron-X (wasn't really needed).

IMO this was easier than waxing. No white residue, no white stuff on black trim, won't have to redo for 2 years. This was my first ceramic coating application and i had no issues whatsoever. Did 2 coats on the satin stuff (fender flares and appliqué) because they don't absorb it as evenly. I would really recommend trying DIY if you had been nervous (as long as you were already a competent DIY detailer this is not hard at all). I might throw on another coat in a few months if I have a few hours to kill (unlikely).

How do pro-installers even mess this up? Probably by having the trainee do it instead of the trained person. Or gooping it on trying to go fast. No idea. Seems foolproof.

It’s pretty easy to miss spots when buffing off the high spots. You’ve either got to have your process of buffing it off very methodical, or have lighting that works perfectly for showing where you need to be buffing. Add to that trying to rush it to get to the next job, I can see how even a pro might miss spots.

Problem is, if you miss a spot, and it cures that way, you’re screwed. It’s more than likely going to take a DA polisher to get it off. A lightly wet MF can help too though.

What I’ve found is aiming a work light away from the truck and letting the light bounce off a wall before it hits the truck shows it the best.

Aside from that, it’s definitely easier than waxing for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jasoncor

Reaction score
Well I had terrible high spots and the installer blamed the product. He came back and basically taped off those areas and left a real mess. I couldn't be more disappointed. I complained to him and optimum. I got no help from optimum. The correction is so poor that I told the guy I don't think he is capable of fixing the problems. He didn't like that and took it personally but its the case....

I registered opticoatsucks.com . I might use it....

Sounds like to me he left it on too long, and didn’t evenly spread it. User error

luvawatch

Reaction score
I'm getting mine Opti coated next week. My Raptor doesn't fit in my garage so I want something to protect the paint. I was quoted $1500 for the 7 year coating and $1000 for the 5 year. I went with the 7 year and got a $200 discount and they'll throw in the windshield. Will let you guys know how it goes. My Raptor is black so I need all the help I can get!!

RobP

Reaction score
I'm having mine coated with Modesta BC-04 tomorrow. I used the consumer version of Opticoat a few years back on another car with great results, but I'm going to have the Raptor done professionally. It's hard to beat the ease of maintenance and scratch resistance of a ceramic coating (using proper washing and drying techniques).

Un Gato Malodoro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm having mine coated with Modesta BC-04 tomorrow. I used the consumer version of Opticoat a few years back on another car with great results, but I'm going to have the Raptor done professionally. It's hard to beat the ease of maintenance and scratch resistance of a ceramic coating (using proper washing and drying techniques).

Please post a review of the Modesta after application. I've coated my previous cars with Opticoat but am considering going the Modesta route for my Raptor and would be curious to hear your thoughts. Are you installing a PPF as well? Thanks and good luck.