Catch Cans

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SRPRACING

Reaction score
Just be careful with any catch can that the lines are not kinked or at an extreme angle. You want the flow to be nice and smooth.

adllewis42

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Like many on here, I went with the JLT can. It only filters on the PCV side but (1) apparently the CCV side is the side that can throw CEL's and (2) the CCV side is apparently "clean" compared to the PCV side. When I take that in conjunction with the fact that the engine does actually have port injection, I figured only the PCV side was really needed. After a few thousand miles, I had a little in there (just like everyone else) and even if the engine could burn it, I feel better with it not ...

OPT PRIME

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got the updated valve cover gaskets 17,000 miles ago and my truck doesn’t burn anything within 7,500 miles. Catch can has been empty ever since.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

adllewis42

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got the updated valve cover gaskets 17,000 miles ago and my truck doesn’t burn anything within 7,500 miles. Catch can has been empty ever since.

Interesting since valve cover gaskets shouldn't have anything to do with blowby ...

OPT PRIME

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting since valve cover gaskets shouldn't have anything to do with blowby ...

But they do, or did in my case. See how close the gaskets are between the intake runners and the oil lubricated part of the head? The originally designed covers and seals weren’t preventing oil from being sucked across into the intake side. They changed the design, baffling and seals and I haven’t had a drop of consumption since.

In fact I’m thinking about selling my UPR can.

b6a4bbb363a8d09d8d12a0d68d778348.jpg

MEATSWORD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From what I understand the valve cover and intake are so close that a valve cover seal can fail and oil would be sucked in The intake.
So if it can go one way I think its believable it could go the other. Boost pushing oil to the separator

adllewis42

Full Access Member
Reaction score
But they do, or did in my case. See how close the gaskets are between the intake runners and the oil lubricated part of the head? The originally designed covers and seals weren’t preventing oil from being sucked across into the intake side. They changed the design, baffling and seals and I haven’t had a drop of consumption since.

In fact I’m thinking about selling my UPR can.

b6a4bbb363a8d09d8d12a0d68d778348.jpg

But that’s not how PCV systems work ... Pressure builds up in the crankcase due to blow by from the imperfect seal of piston rings. That pressure can make its way to valve cover which then is planned to exit the valve cover via the PCV valve and get plumbed back into the intake to be burned.

adllewis42

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From what I understand the valve cover and intake are so close that a valve cover seal can fail and oil would be sucked in The intake.
So if it can go one way I think its believable it could go the other. Boost pushing oil to the separator
It could but, again, that doesn’t “solve” the original cause of positive crankcase pressure. They’re unrelated and even if you had totally perfect seals on your valve cover, you’d still get blow by and need a PCV system.