Can't decide on what tires to buy

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rtmozingo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The Nitto RG is a hybrid tire not a true AT tire, it’s a mix of AT and MT I believe the closest thing cooper has is the PRO.

The Terra Grappler is Nitto’s AT tire.

The ST is an 8 ply vs RG 10 ply

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The ST Maxx is a hybrid tire, and from what I've gathered more aggressive than the RG. The STT Pro is a mud tire, but supposedly is so good on the road it is comparable with some A/Ts.

Won't argue with the ply rating, but from everyone who has run the full gamut of AT and hybrid tires (both in person and online) the Maxxes are by far and away the most durable. https://youtu.be/9Kz8mmLkeks?t=1m23s

Just waiting to burn out my K02s before I make the purchase. Few more track days and I expect they'll be shot

brettmess24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The ST Maxx is a hybrid tire, and from what I've gathered more aggressive than the RG. The STT Pro is a mud tire, but supposedly is so good on the road it is comparable with some A/Ts.

Won't argue with the ply rating, but from everyone who has run the full gamut of AT and hybrid tires (both in person and online) the Maxxes are by far and away the most durable. https://youtu.be/9Kz8mmLkeks?t=1m23s

Just waiting to burn out my K02s before I make the purchase. Few more track days and I expect they'll be shot

Sorry man but that is a dumb video....and fairly irrelevant in comparing the tires in this thread.

Give them a go and report back. Not sure how you gathered they are more aggressive than the Nitto?

My only experience with the ST Maxx is through my brother circa 2015. He said they threw stones and were much louder than my RG after the first rotation. Good snow traction and good off-road. He also claimed they were not good in the rain and wouldn’t buy them again with the new hybrid options available.

Haven’t heard any complaints on the Nitto RG or Toyo RT so far.

YMMV

Last edited:

03'Darin

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Interesting experiences and opinions on tires in here.

This is my first set of BFG's in probably 20 years and I'm very pleased with them. Snow traction had been good, rain traction has been great plus pretty quite for street use. Hardly anyone here seems happy with them though. I don't really see any off road stuff so that may be the difference? I also have a buddy from NY that won't runanything different than the KO2's for winter plowing.

I had a set of Hankook Dynapro ATM's on my F150 2 trucks ago. Those tires worked great. Then my 13' F150 was coming from the factory with Pirelli Scorpions so I had tires sitting waiting to go on when the truck arrived. With suggestions from a friend who's family owns several wholesale and retail tires stores I went with the Toyo Open County AT2. He said that tires worked the same as the Hankook but wears better. Well the tire did wear better but the traction sucked in every aspect.

I've got 30k miles on my truck already. So I've been watching the tires suggestions and questions that are being posted so I know what I'm doing when the time comes.

Weight of a tire is a small factor for me. I don't haul any weight (not that you can) and do almost zero off road so I prefer the lighter rotating tire.

df4801

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Interesting experiences and opinions on tires in here.

This is my first set of BFG's in probably 20 years and I'm very pleased with them. Snow traction had been good, rain traction has been great plus pretty quite for street use.

03'Darin, you definitely have been a great plus and help on this forum, but did you really say "rain traction has been great" ?????

I know that crack is outlawed in Pennsylvania so you better stop smoking it!

If there is even a light rain, then you better put it in 4wd or else be prepared to spin the tires on any hill or with any quick acceleration.

rtmozingo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Sorry man but that is a dumb video....and fairly irrelevant in comparing the tires in this thread.

Give them a go and report back. Not sure how you gathered they are more aggressive than the Nitto?

My only experience with the ST Maxx is through my brother circa 2015. He said they threw stones and were much louder than my RG after the first rotation. Good snow traction and good off-road. He also claimed they were not good in the rain and wouldn’t buy them again with the new hybrid options available.

Haven’t heard any complaints on the Nitto RG or Toyo RT so far.

YMMV

I'll let you know. Talk to several guys that have run K02s, RGs, and a few others, all said the Maxxes had best traction in all situations, on road and off. Excepting perhaps snow and ice, since we don't get much of either here. Maybe a few days every other year.

Even if they are only equivalent in traction to the RGs, they weigh at least 5lbs per tire less, which is more than enough reason to run them IMO

03'Darin, you definitely have been a great plus and help on this forum, but did you really say "rain traction has been great" ?????

If there is even a light rain, then you better put it in 4wd or else be prepared to spin the tires on any hill or with any quick acceleration.

I lose traction in a straight line in normal mode, alone alone sport or wet tarmac. When your wife is telling you your tires suck, then you really start to know something is wrong with them.

NASSTY

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I was considering ST Maxx's a few years ago for my FX4 but a few guys on the F150 forum that ran them said they weren't good in snow. So I crossed them off my short list because I drive in snow 5-6 months a year.

Wild Card

Reaction score
I made the switch from stock BFG KO2 to Nitto Ridge Grappler and am very happy with them. The RG is slightly louder but barely noticeable and much more durable. Both are fine unless you are seriously off-roading where ANY A/T tire is not going to compare to a Hybrid or M/T. I kept my BFG on stock wheels for snow tires just to keep my new wheels out of the salt and due to my Method wheels being wider would cover my truck in salt/slush if I ran the wider wheels. I own many plow trucks and KO2 are great snow/plow tires

xrocket21

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I was considering ST Maxx's a few years ago for my FX4 but a few guys on the F150 forum that ran them said they weren't good in snow. So I crossed them off my short list because I drive in snow 5-6 months a year.

I just ordered a set of 35" Duratracs for snow reasons

03'Darin

FRF Addict
Reaction score

Wet road acceleration I think is OK. WAY better than my Toyos on my 13' truck and this truck has 100 more hp.

Really by wet road traction I was referring to driving traction and standing water. The Toyos I had were like driving on ice when the roads were wet.

I just towed a 5,000 # camper in fairly heavy rain doing 70 -75 mph on the highway with hills and sweeping curves. They tires did well with that.

Now my tire comparisons aren't on the same trucks. My 13' was a CC 6 1/2' bed so the wheel base was different and my previous truck to that was a CC 5 1/2' bed with a 5.4

NASSTY

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I just ordered a set of 35" Duratracs for snow reasons

I've been running them on my Bronco for the last 5 years and I have 6k miles on the Duratracs on my Raptor. The 35x12.5x17 are a little cheaper than the 315/70/17 but I went with the 315's for a slightly softer ride. The 35's are load range E and the 315's are load range D. My load range D Duratracs ride a little firmer than the stock load range C KO2's.