Can tailgate step be added after purchase?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MDJAK

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Had it on my 2012. Purposefully did not order it on my 2014. For me, it was a lot of unnecessary weight. In fact, it's so heavy they have to add "assist" springs to lift it which just makes it that much heavier. That being said, if you want one, scan craigslist or junkyards for a tailgate with a step and put it on.
What are you talking about? I don’t think it has lift springs on step.
I wouldn’t be without it but what I don’t like is if you are not careful pulling cargo out, it’s all too easy to rip the rubber cover off.

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Welcome to the fray.

I am going to completely disagree with the previous comment about the usefulness of the step. it’s probably the cheapest and best bang for the buck option on the Rap.

What he said. this is my 1st truck I have ever owned, and I could not think to ever own a truck without one. It is so natural in every way.

the1russ

Reaction score
Lift springs aren't on the step. They're inside the tailgate to assist when you're lifting the tailgate to close it. Maybe they aren't in the gen 2 tailgates because of the lighter aluminum shell.

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Gen 2 has some form of lift assist, that I can tell you. And I have the step in mine and it’s paper light to close. Spent too many years closing heaving unassisted tailgates.

xrocket21

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Gen 2 has some form of lift assist, that I can tell you. And I have the step in mine and it’s paper light to close. Spent too many years closing heaving unassisted tailgates.

my 801 isnt lift assisted, it is just lightweight because it is aluminum.

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I suppose I haven't had mine long enough to fully appreciate it enough yet, but I could take it or leave it at this point. It's helpful sure, but I don't feel it's that difficult to get into without it. If you're just grabbing one thing, it's not worth the effort to put it down, grab, and put it back up. It's also not quite as sturdy as I would like. It's solid, but you do need to watch your balance, and the pole doesn't give you that much comfort.

Again, if used to bed more frequently, or had the truck longer, I can see myself growing to appreciate it more. I'd also say that some of the other step options you see on trucks look like the would do the job a bit better.

SVTTrooper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I love the step on mine; use it almost every time I haul something. I’m still young and could climb up without it but “work smarter not harder” is a motto for a reason.

exactly! I landscaped my whole house this year and like f@$k I'd "jump" in and out a dozen times to grab sob, mulch and sand bags lol. just pull the step out and walk up and down with ease.

SVTWillis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
exactly! I landscaped my whole house this year and like f@$k I'd "jump" in and out a dozen times to grab sob, mulch and sand bags lol. just pull the step out and walk up and down with ease.

I did some landscaping this summer as well. That step saved my knees and back for sure.