Can tailgate step be added after purchase?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Flash1034

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dont have one on my raptor for one reason, and maybe the design is different on new raptor and someone can chime in, but on my 14 f150 the step rattled so bad I traded the truck in. Drove me crazy. Anything but the smoothest roads and it sounded like I was pulling an old metal trailer behind the truck. Dealer said it was normal and common complaint about the step.

With that said, I think its completely dependent of what u haul in ur bed. I have found, for me, I'm fine without it. I have the bed extender that I flip to the inside. Keeps 90% of what I haul at an arms reach.... sports/hunting equip, feed, gym bag, etc....

it is different. It’s been updated.

ljn21

FRF Addict
Reaction score
In same boat as the OP, cant find a dealer that will give a deal in a truck with all the options I want but found one willing to deal that has a truck with everything except the step...its 4kess than the one next cheapest one that has everything plus the step...the 4k less is tough to pass up.

ljn21

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It's a MUST item on your Raptor. And it is VERY EXPENSIVE to add afterward. I checked with Tasca and it will cost you $ 700 to get it done. Don't regret it, just find another truck with it..

Does that 700 include the lift assist springs/mechanism as well? Have part numbers by chance?

Kirby Lastinger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I love my step. Had one my lifted F350 and really found it was necessary to get into the bed. At 5’8” and almost 60 I wouldn’t have bought my truck without it. I am in great shape and blessed that I still run everyday, but sure wouldn’t want to get in and out of my bed without my step.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

-J-

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All this lol here. Im 35 and pretty spry. Still find it to be a very useful option, i dont have to pretend to do a box jump every time i get in the truck. Also, in regards to the weight, it still seems significantly lighter than my previous 2017 ram 2500 tailgate.
The thing no one talks about is kids. I’ve got 2 youngins that like to play in the truck bed, and they love the step. Cant get in without it. Additionally its a great footrest when tailgating. I enjoy having it for sure.
I asked the local ford parts guys and was told well over 1k to add it after purchase for a new tailgate. Glad I got one with it instead.

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
All this lol here. Im 35 and pretty spry. Still find it to be a very useful option, i dont have to pretend to do a box jump every time i get in the truck. Also, in regards to the weight, it still seems significantly lighter than my previous 2017 ram 2500 tailgate.
The thing no one talks about is kids. I’ve got 2 youngins that like to play in the truck bed, and they love the step. Cant get in without it. Additionally its a great footrest when tailgating. I enjoy having it for sure.
I asked the local ford parts guys and was told well over 1k to add it after purchase for a new tailgate. Glad I got one with it instead.

I second what you mentioned. It’s a basic little option that should have been thought about and added to all trucks years ago. Yeah I can jump up in the bed for something quick and simple, but if I had to load and unload somethings it just makes it simple sense to use it. My son likes it as well and climbing up in the bed for some amusement. When your a dad little stuff like this makes it worth it lol

This tailgate is as light as cardboard to close. Between the assist and it being aluminum not much to it, besides the weight of the step in there.

My last Dodge had no assist and was steel, no step and weighed a stupid ton. Would drop like it too if you did not help it down.

91Eunos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My truck did not come with it and my odyssey to get one is detailed in my build thread (on phone but can search for it tonight)...

bottom line: you can NOT add it later unless you perform major surgery on the tailgate; cheaper to purchase a new one and it will cost a lot more than $700

non-step tailgate is about 1/2 the weight of the one with the step and does not have the torsion rod/spring to assist lifting. Each has a unique attachment point on the left/driver side of the bed for this reason.

buy the one you want...and what works for YOUR needs. Cheaper to get it straight from the factory.

edit: found it: https://www.fordraptorforum.com/threads/swapping-tailgates-to-flex-step.64415/

Last edited:

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I’d second what was just said. Unless you can really accept not having it. I’m not sure how light the non step tailgates are, or if they come with the lift assist as an option. But the tailgates with the step and lift assist are literally paper light to close and drop down nice and slow when you release it.