Can tailgate step be added after purchase?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rcadd1ct

Reaction score
I wish I had it on mine. It accidentally got dropped on my order. I have the decked system so when I load stuff up I have to crawl in the bed to lift over the second level.

there are four tailgates for our trucks.

One that has the appliqué no step.
One that has appliqué delete no step.
One that has the appliqué with step.
One that has appliqué delete with step.

mix that with color choices and it gets ugly quick. Get the step if you want it when you buy the truck.

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Time for a step poll lol. Everything else has already been done.

I like the step feature. Even if I don’t use it all the time.

WHYUMAD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m 30, so I may be biased, but I don’t need the step. It’s 100x better than the Gen 1 design because it’s built into the tailgate & there’s no huge hump that doesn’t allow you to slide things in & out easily. The tailgate is a good bit heavier with the step. My truck came with the step & appliqué delete, but I am about to install a non-step & appliqué tailgate onto it.. I can see it being useful if you’re older... I can climb into the bed easily still though. Really, it’s up to you. I don’t see it being much of an issue to have just in case though.

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I would have liked having it, the lift assist and remote open when I was 25 for that matter. But I haven’t had the step for years and it’s not a deal breaker if you don’t have it. It’s just another feature that’s nice.

nfsraptor

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dont quote me on this but in theory you could buy the truck and find a same color junk yard one and swap the tailgate or trade someone that doesnt want to but yes easiest would just be to buy one that has it. I use it to load my spare tires into the truck without getting a hernia lol.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score

kingcareric

Reaction score
It's a MUST item on your Raptor. And it is VERY EXPENSIVE to add afterward. I checked with Tasca and it will cost you $ 700 to get it done. Don't regret it, just find another truck with it..

sixshooter_45

2019 Ruby Red Metallic SC, 3.5 L Twin Turbos.
Reaction score
I love the step, easy to setup and put away.

It just makes it so easy to get up and down from the bed especially whe5you a little older.

P4mnceBlue82

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dont have one on my raptor for one reason, and maybe the design is different on new raptor and someone can chime in, but on my 14 f150 the step rattled so bad I traded the truck in. Drove me crazy. Anything but the smoothest roads and it sounded like I was pulling an old metal trailer behind the truck. Dealer said it was normal and common complaint about the step.

With that said, I think its completely dependent of what u haul in ur bed. I have found, for me, I'm fine without it. I have the bed extender that I flip to the inside. Keeps 90% of what I haul at an arms reach.... sports/hunting equip, feed, gym bag, etc....