Came from Tundra - New Raptor Owner

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Beard

Beard

Reaction score
Looks exactly like mine except the wheels. Best truck I have ever owned no doubt. Please be aware of a possible cam phaser rattle. If I had not been looking around on this forum I would have never known what to listen for. My truck had it when I bought it and it was covered under warranty and has never rattled on cold start up since.

Thanks, I had the Cam Phaser rattle and had it fixed under warranty last week. Rattle gone, but it still shifts rough in "S" from 4th to 5th. Guess I need an Accessport and Goosetune TSM.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
@FordTechOne Hey Hey, give me a break now haha. Don't get me wrong, Raptors are AWESOME, I love my truck. But, I can't help in being biased towards Tundra's as my brother has had one since brand new and is at 70K miles and has never once had to bring it into the shop. MY BIL also has one and has never had an issue at all, I have to commend them at that department. The only truck I would take other than a Raptor or Tundra is a new but dented and tuned F-250!
Nothing personal; my reaction was just around the notion that they are “solid trucks”. The frames are extremely weak and prone to severe rust, hence the class action settlement. Probably not something you’d experience in Texas of course. They’re also 15 years behind everyone else in technology, and they received a “Poor” rating in both the passenger overlap crash test and driver lower injury results. The IIHS test results are horrendous; I would never put my family in a vehicle that poorly engineered. Look under the front fender wells of both trucks next time you have a chance; oil leaks from the cam towers are extremely common and very expensive to repair.

Here’s one of the IIHS photos:
1621963672069.jpeg

RubyDaCherry

Reaction score
Nothing personal; my reaction was just around the notion that they are “solid trucks”. The frames are extremely weak and prone to severe rust, hence the class action settlement. Probably not something you’d experience in Texas of course. They’re also 15 years behind everyone else in technology, and they received a “Poor” rating in both the passenger overlap crash test and driver lower injury results. The IIHS test results are horrendous; I would never put my family in a vehicle that poorly engineered. Look under the front fender wells of both trucks next time you have a chance; oil leaks from the cam towers are extremely common and very expensive to repair.

Here’s one of the IIHS photos:
View attachment 169197

Wow, very informative stuff, that looks horrendous!!! I will definitely look at it when given the chance!

pastorwug

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow, very informative stuff, that looks horrendous!!! I will definitely look at it when given the chance!
Hope you get that chance, those of my TUNDRA friends that are constantly drooling over my Raptor really do hate them, they're somewhat reliable but as said, a decade or so behind in every technology there is almost.

OP
OP
Beard

Beard

Reaction score
Hope you get that chance, those of my TUNDRA friends that are constantly drooling over my Raptor really do hate them, they're somewhat reliable but as said, a decade or so behind in every technology there is almost.
I love my 2nd Gen Tundra (2009 Rock Warrior). I had to trade it for a bigger cab (2nd kid). The 3rd gen were not great, Cam Tower leaks, suspension rode like a toboggan, and it had tech from the early 2000's. I'm upset with myself for not getting this Raptor sooner.

MurderedOutSVT

Brodozin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Dad had a '12 Tundra. Damn Good driving truck but the seats were awful for any length of time