Cam Phasers? Do I need to replace them?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kishorejoseph

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I have a 2019 with 65k miles. Last 5k miles I've had a loud/long rattle on start-up. No performance issues/stuttering/etc. Sometimes a prolonged cranking and twice the truck didn't even unlock, but weirdly unlocked after manually unlocking (possible battery is going dead or the change in temperature here is doing something with the battery). Regardless of the battery the cranking and rattling still exists.

I have a Stage 2 93 tune with the Cobb AP and FMIC. I've had the tune for 30k miles.

Few questions...

First...I bought the truck with 29k miles 1 year ago. So not sure if the cam Phasers have been done, how do I found out if it's been done?

Second...Do I have to replace the cam phasers if they've gone bad? I don't mind the rattle...rather not have the engine taken apart. Is there any detrimental issue if I leave it as it is?

Thank you all in advance for any advice.

2020FordRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I have a 2019 with 65k miles. Last 5k miles I've had a loud/long rattle on start-up. No performance issues/stuttering/etc. Sometimes a prolonged cranking and twice the truck didn't even unlock, but weirdly unlocked after manually unlocking (possible battery is going dead or the change in temperature here is doing something with the battery). Regardless of the battery the cranking and rattling still exists.

I have a Stage 2 93 tune with the Cobb AP and FMIC. I've had the tune for 30k miles.

Few questions...

First...I bought the truck with 29k miles 1 year ago. So not sure if the cam Phasers have been done, how do I found out if it's been done?

Second...Do I have to replace the cam phasers if they've gone bad? I don't mind the rattle...rather not have the engine taken apart. Is there any detrimental issue if I leave it as it is?

Thank you all in advance for any advice.
Nevermind if they've been replaced, they're bad according to what you described. Yes you need to replace them, it damages the solenoids and ultimately the engine.

edb

Reaction score
If you got them replaced, how much did it run you? I've got a 2016 with 65k miles, and am told my cam phasers need to be replaced. Thanks