Cam Phaser/Engine Failure Reports

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

pastorwug

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When did you have it repaired? The 'new' phasers weren't in existence until sometime in September, so if you got it done before then you got the same POS phasers that are prone to fail.
Picked it up last week! This really sucks.

WraptorBoy

Reaction score
When did you have it repaired? The 'new' phasers weren't in existence until sometime in September, so if you got it done before then you got the same POS phasers that are prone to fail.

The new phaser and related programming cutoff was in April 2019, not September.

Trucks built/repaired after the cutoff should have the newest up to date parts thus far.

The point is moot.

From what I am understanding, a period of defective parts were made by some supplier. This was discovered and addressed in April of 2019. If it was a defect in design, and not some defective batch of parts from some supplier, then the redesign was addressed in April of 2019.

Either way it's a contradiction. If the parts were manufactured improperly then you trash those and make the same part except this time you make them correctly. Maybe in the parts manufacturing world, in order to accomplish this, you have to give it a new part number. Still, a new part number implies the part has changed. If the part changed, then it wasn't a manufacturing defect. It was a design flaw.

Anyway, it doesn't matter. Unless each part is QCd and verified by people who care, there's always a chance the part will go off spec again as it is manufactured or that the part is again created from a flawed design.

If Ford said outright "Yes we goofed and designed a defective part" then every vehicle that has those designs should fail. But it seems that's not the case... unless... they all WILL fail whereas some fail early and the rest fail really late.

Honestly, all you can do is buy the vehicle you want and enjoy it. If you never plan to repair your own stuff anymore (like me) then you'll want to trade out every 3 years or get the 8 year 200K ESP warranty from Ford and hope you never need it :cool:

Last edited:

Donmatteo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The new phaser and related programming cutoff was in April 2019, not September.

Trucks built/repaired after the cutoff should have the newest up to date parts thus far.

The point is moot.

From what I am understanding, a period of defective parts were made by some supplier. This was discovered and addressed in April of 2019. If it was a defect in design, and not some defective batch of parts from some supplier, then the redesign was addressed in April of 2019.

Either way it's a contradiction. If the parts were manufactured improperly then you trash those and make the same part except this time you make them correctly. Maybe in the parts manufacturing world, in order to accomplish this, you have to give it a new part number. Still, a new part number implies the part has changed. If the part changed, then it wasn't a manufacturing defect. It was a design flaw.

Anyway, it doesn't matter. Unless each part is QCd and verified by people who care, there's always a chance the part will go off spec again as it is manufactured or that the part is again created from a flawed design.

If Ford said outright "Yes we goofed and designed a defective part" then every vehicle that has those designs should fail. But it seems that's not the case... unless... they all WILL fail whereas some fail early and the rest fail really late.

Honestly, all you can do is buy the vehicle you want and enjoy it. If you never plan to repair your own stuff anymore (like me) then you'll want to trade out every 3 years or get the 8 year 200K ESP warranty from Ford and hope you never need it :cool:

My raptor was built in April. What was the date in April? I want to say it was the 7th or 9th but will need to check the tag in the door jam.

WraptorBoy

Reaction score
My raptor was built in April. What was the date in April? I want to say it was the 7th or 9th but will need to check the tag in the door jam.

The date is 4.8.2019 (page 69 on this thread). I wouldn't mince days. If yours was built on the 8th, would the dealer have the new parts already? Not unless there was a surplus of them made earlier. But yeah, it's possible Ford said "OK it's the 8th, no more trucks are to be built with that old part" then there's a good chance you're good.

Somehow, you'll have to compare the part numbers on your build sheet to the new part numbers offered after the cutoff. Maybe FordTechOne can get you the newest part numbers.

Keep in mind that even if you don't have the new parts, the part(s) failing are still the minority. Supposedly most won't fail. So, you may just be back in that boat of having a part that may or may not fail. Hopefully the "may not" boat! Again, depends on if the issue was a bad batch or a flawed design.

I posted a bit back that I have the noise (2019 Sept build). It's just extremely faint. But it's exactly the same noise. A second or two of "chatter" then it goes away. So in my opinion, what I am hearing is the normal sound of this mechanism. It's when it starts getting louder and louder to the volume of what you hear in the videos that is a problem. That could be 10K or 30K miles or any time in between before or after. Or... I too have the issue. I got 2K miles and no change in the volume of it.

You don't have the noise do you?

Last edited:

Donmatteo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The date is 4.8.2019 (page 69 on this thread). I wouldn't mince days. If yours was built on the 8th, would the dealer have the new parts already? Not unless there was a surplus of them made earlier. But yeah, it's possible Ford said "OK it's the 8th, no more trucks are to be built with that old part" then there's a good chance you're good.

Somehow, you'll have to compare the part numbers on your build sheet to the new part numbers offered after the cutoff. Maybe FordTechOne can get you the newest part numbers.

Keep in mind that even if you don't have the new parts, the part(s) failing are still the minority. Supposedly most won't fail. So, you may just be back in that boat of having a part that may or may not fail. Hopefully the "may not" boat! Again, depends on if the issue was a bad batch or a flawed design.

I posted a bit back that I have the noise (2019 Sept build). It's just extremely faint. But it's exactly the same noise. A second or two of "chatter" then it goes away. So in my opinion, what I am hearing is the normal sound of this mechanism. It's when it starts getting louder and louder to the volume of what you hear in the videos. That could be 10K or 30K miles or any time in between before or after. Or... I too have the issue. I got 2K miles and no change in the volume of it.

You don't have the noise do you?
No. My 18 or 19 have not made a sound and no issues at all.

AlexBuilt

Reaction score
My 2017 with 42k miles if all messed up not running anymore... I made a post about it with videos in this same forum category. Not sure what failed yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jumpcutter