California emissions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

zombiz

Reaction score
Had another question relating to the taxes paid at an out of state dealership -- Are we supposed to be paying the dealership the California taxes, or whatever state the vehicle is in (WI) taxes?

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Had another question relating to the taxes paid at an out of state dealership -- Are we supposed to be paying the dealership the California taxes, or whatever state the vehicle is in (WI) taxes?
I don't know that there is one right answer here... what I did, since I ordered my truck from SD and I'm in CA - the dealer took the CA taxes and dealt with sending them to CA. They grossly underestimated the tax however and I owed about $1200 additional when I registered the truck here. I've heard of some dealers not taking any tax at all then you just pay when you register. In any case, you will never be double taxed - at the same time you will never save on any tax either.

Booth9999

Professional basket weaver level 7
Reaction score
Depending on the state. If the state is a reciprocal state to California you you pay the state tax of that state then when you bring it to the DMV is CA you pay the remaining taxes as if you bought it in CA. If the state is not reciprocal with CA you pay no taxes when you buy it and pay all the tax at the DMV.