CA DMV TIPS

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stan G

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is what was needed:

1). Smog Check Certificate - complete prior to DMV visit, have the hard copy with you even though it gets uploaded electronically.

2). Weight Certificate - cost me $20, use the link provided to find a place near your area. Complete prior to DMV visit. https://apps1.cdfa.ca.gov/publicscales/

3). Bill of Sale and Copy of Temporary Title (this should be part of your paperwork you receive from your dealer)

4). Sales Tax depends on the state you purchase from and whether or not they have a reciprocal agreement with CA DMV. Some states collect sales tax and some do not. This will show on your bill of sale, if your dealer collected it and should be calculated based upon your city/county of residence.

5). CA DMV Registration Form (REG 343 Form) - https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/file/application-for-title-or-registration-reg-343-pdf/

6). Check to pay registration fees and any tax applicable.

DMV process, IF you have all your paperwork in order as indicated above: check in, they will confirm your paperwork, go outside and wait for them to inspect your VIN and mileage (they will ask for you to open the hood), they will give you another form confirming inspection, go back inside wait for a window to open, turn everything in and walk out with plates.
You forgot a few:

7) 2 Liters of blood from you and each family member that will ride in the raptor

8) A signed affidavit swearing to plant 10 trees

9) Installed "municipal pushers" to make sure you don't kill any homeless person that may be camping in your general area

10) Not use any other combustion engine.

I think that covers it! (Good luck in CA when you can't even buy a gas leafblower, lawnmower or weed wacker after 2023 https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a38004981/california-ban-gas-powered-lawn-equipment/ )

On a more serious note, I don't live in CA but I appreciate you taking the guess work out of it for other forum members! Good post!

Mille_ed

Reaction score
I bought mine from Illinois and had it shipped to CA. I took it to one of those private registration brokers and they took care of everything except the smog check. I had to drive it next door for that. There was no weighing required and I never stepped foot at the dmv. I think the broker charged me a $90 fee that was well worth it. PM me if you want their contact info. They are in 92835.

OP
OP
uscraptor51

uscraptor51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We do! But hey, we don’t bring BS politics and votes with us!!!

Love me some SD
Just spent the weekend out there for Country Thunder…found the one and only “KAREN” out of 50,000 guest…not sure how you guys let her in?

4wheelinAZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just spent the weekend out there for Country Thunder…found the one and only “KAREN” out of 50,000 guest…not sure how you guys let her in?
Yeah we couldn’t make it to Country thunder this year. And to your point, AZ won’t be awesome for long I’m afraid. I can feel it shifting. And it depresses me….

S

StrengthNSpeed

Which is funny, considering all you “Zonas” come out and invade San Diego for the summer…
I’m from AZ, Moved to CA a long time ago. A friend of mine from CA moved to AZ. Within a year or two he referred to himself as a “Zonie” like I knew what the freak he was talking about. His wife came back covered in turquoise rock jewelry lol. I don’t care but they looked at me like I had to approve. I was actually glad they were happy with their move and embraced it so fully. He wears boots and cowboy hats now, that or khaki safari shorts and hiking boots. Regular desert Steve Irwin, wresting gila monsters and giant centipedes.

Big Blue

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, this thread just received its first report and based on its direction, I'm guessing it will be closed shortly. Please keep on topic.

kev4dez

Reaction score
My experience: San Diego specifically Poway DMV. Done in mid September.
Dealer overnighted paperwork directly to DMV office.
Got smog cert. on advice from dealer.
Filled out online Reg. form previously mentioned, brought hardcopy with me to DMV.
Went to DMV, no appointment.
VIN verification by DMV rep.
Back inside to window.
Rep. found paperwork from dealer(never saw it so I don't know exactly what it was)
Paid CA sales tax on purchase(no tax was collected on sale from Nevada dealer)(Team Ford)
Paid Registration fees.
Out the door with Registration and shiny new plates.

No mention of any weight certificate. Inspector did look at the GVWR on the sticker inside drivers door.

YMMV
Kevin

Status
Not open for further replies.