CA DMV TIPS

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
uscraptor51

uscraptor51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My experience: San Diego specifically Poway DMV. Done in mid September.
Dealer overnighted paperwork directly to DMV office.
Got smog cert. on advice from dealer.
Filled out online Reg. form previously mentioned, brought hardcopy with me to DMV.
Went to DMV, no appointment.
VIN verification by DMV rep.
Back inside to window.
Rep. found paperwork from dealer(never saw it so I don't know exactly what it was)
Paid CA sales tax on purchase(no tax was collected on sale from Nevada dealer)(Team Ford)
Paid Registration fees.
Out the door with Registration and shiny new plates.

No mention of any weight certificate. Inspector did look at the GVWR on the sticker inside drivers door.

YMMV
Kevin
With respect to weight…

I actually got fees refunded…initially fees were based on the GVW of 7,150lbs. Since, the weight certificate came in at 6,020lbs the DMV said I was getting a refund…wasn’t going to argue.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Well, this thread just received its first report and based on its direction, I'm guessing it will be closed shortly. Please keep on topic.

So this has to be the shortest lived FRF policy ever!
;-)

BadWRP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought mine from Illinois and had it shipped to CA. I took it to one of those private registration brokers and they took care of everything except the smog check. I had to drive it next door for that. There was no weighing required and I never stepped foot at the dmv. I think the broker charged me a $90 fee that was well worth it. PM me if you want their contact info. They are in 92835.
Can i get that info? Sounds like a big time saver to me!

OP
OP
uscraptor51

uscraptor51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The topic is to Help register an out of State vehicle, not a debate on why CA sucks.

At least I gave a warning, it's not like I closed the thread and banned the CA members for fun.
Got it…but I do not think anyone has been “offended” who is participating? I think we ALL are poking fun at the nuances of each state, some are just easier targets…back to helping!!

Scottakacrash

Reaction score
I bought a 2020 Raptor last year from a Ford dealer in Kentucky and had it shipped to NorCal. The process at the California DMV was actually easy. I had the truck weighed (5880 lbs.) at a local weigh master and got a certificate for $12.50 total. The smog was done at a local gas station for $81 including the certificate. I took these documents to the DMV where the truck VIN was inspected and verified. The longest wait was for a copy of the title to come from the Commonwealth of Kentucky. It took almost 3 months(!). In the meantime, I had temporary tags from both CA and KY. They both offered to extend updated temporary tags due to the delay for the KY title. I did have to pay CA taxes at the DMV, but the state of Kentucky eventually sent the almost $900 in taxes I prepaid to the dealer there back to me. If you are familiar with commercial vehicle registration, the process is very much the same.

smurfslayer

Reaction score
Got it…but I do not think anyone has been “offended” who is participating? I think we ALL are poking fun at the nuances of each state, some are just easier targets…back to helping!!

Yeah, any time you have government involvement the amount of difficulty is directly proportional to the amount of government involvement. There’s challenges in all the states, and I’ve had DMV... we’ll call them “challenges” in red and blue states.

I think it’s safe to say our discussion got “Karened”

Big Blue

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Hey, I'm all for having fun as long as it stays on topic. You need to start a thread Topic; List how many ways CA sucks. That thread could go on for years.

smurfslayer

Reaction score
LOL. Be careful what you tell forum users... You just might get it.

Status
Not open for further replies.