CA DMV TIPS

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SurfRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I spent my first 22 years in NY and then CA for the past 16. CA sucks badly, but we have great surf, so I'm stuck. Luckily I live part-time in Baja, the real land of the free. If you know, you know. :)

Can we also discuss license plate placement? I have to make sure the dealer doesn't drill through the front bumper with sheet metal screws. Do you have to have a front plate in CA? Does it have to be on center? Is there a proper kit for this?

kev4dez

Reaction score
SurfRaptor, my dealer installed a plastic bracket for the front license plate to hold the CA required front plate.

Kevin

kev4dez

Reaction score
With respect to weight…

I actually got fees refunded…initially fees were based on the GVW of 7,150lbs. Since, the weight certificate came in at 6,020lbs the DMV said I was getting a refund…wasn’t going to argue.
Interesting! I wonder if there is a way to correct this after the fact? Maybe before the next registration is due?
USC thanks for the info.
Kevin

OP
OP
uscraptor51

uscraptor51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I spent my first 22 years in NY and then CA for the past 16. CA sucks badly, but we have great surf, so I'm stuck. Luckily I live part-time in Baja, the real land of the free. If you know, you know. :)

Can we also discuss license plate placement? I have to make sure the dealer doesn't drill through the front bumper with sheet metal screws. Do you have to have a front plate in CA? Does it have to be on center? Is there a proper kit for this?
Technically..YES…or a fix it ticket if not in place.

It does open the door and provide an opportunity to get harassed if you happen to cross paths with the one grumpy guy of the day. You can be pulled over and/or stopped for not having a plate. I think I’ve paid once in 30 years.

I think holes come pre-drilled on the front center? At least my bumper has holes, but there are no screws or hardware that I recall.

OP
OP
uscraptor51

uscraptor51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey, I'm all for having fun as long as it stays on topic. You need to start a thread Topic; List how many ways CA sucks. That thread could go on for years.
Dude, that’s my pizza (CA thread)!!! Umm…it got moved but where?

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Thanks @Big Blue.

We stand less chance of being karened with the post in the champagne room.

SurfRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I think holes come pre-drilled on the front center? At least my bumper has holes, but there are no screws or hardware that I recall.
Yes I did see this and that another member used a cap or button head plastic screw to fix. As long as they come predrilled, Im all good. I hate when they give it to the guy that washes the cars with a cordless drill, and they tap them in using a sheet metal screw.

Status
Not open for further replies.