Built Motor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

element217

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been down the same rabbit hole as yourself. I am currently running e85 only in the warm months via @GooseTuned. If you already have the CAI and upgraded intercooler you can purchase the XDI HPFP from Winfield and takes ~60 minutes to install the first time. I have had to change my high pressure fuel pumps 3 times and I can now do it in 20 minutes.

I have been switching between e85 in the warm months and 91 tune for colder months. I now have 94,000 miles. My truck has had some form of a tune since around ~10,000 miles. The difference between the 91 tune and e85 is night and day. Your gas mileage is gonna be garbage.
What kind of gas mileage are we talking about?

In regards to you changing the hpfp 3x - is that due to fp going bad or were you swapping back and forth based off of long term gas quality? I thought you could still run the 91 octane through the hpfp as the tune would be different and adjust pressure accordingly.

smgilles

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What kind of gas mileage are we talking about?

In regards to you changing the hpfp 3x - is that due to fp going bad or were you swapping back and forth based off of long term gas quality? I thought you could still run the 91 octane through the hpfp as the tune would be different and adjust pressure accordingly.
#1: The XDI HPFP had a cracked housing seal and I am still not sure what happened as I sent it back to XDI and they bench tested it and stated it was a one off. (Goosetuned contacted them for me and helped getting a new one at no charge).

#2: I switched back to the OEM HFPF for cam phaser flash (FSA21b10) to ward off the evil spirits. Then immediately put XDI HPFP back on.

#3: I thought I was going to have the dealer do some work for me (hoses, belts, thermostat, flush radiator, as I am approaching 100,000 miles) due to lack of time. So I switched back to the OEM HPFP. My OCD (I really don’t truck dealerships) got the best of me and I just ended up doing all the work myself and put the XDI back on.

Ford “recommends” changing the HP fuel rail line if change HPFP more than once, so I have changed this piece 1 time.

As far as gas mileage. Think 9 mpg if in sport/Baja mode and ripping around. I get 12 - 13 mpg on the interstate driving 75+ mph. Non-e85 it 12 - 14 mpg in sport/Baja and 16 - 18 mpg interstate driving. E85 burns about 30% more fuel vs non ethanol.

element217

Full Access Member
Reaction score
#1: The XDI HPFP had a cracked housing seal and I am still not sure what happened as I sent it back to XDI and they bench tested it and stated it was a one off. (Goosetuned contacted them for me and helped getting a new one at no charge).

#2: I switched back to the OEM HFPF for cam phaser flash (FSA21b10) to ward off the evil spirits. Then immediately put XDI HPFP back on.

#3: I thought I was going to have the dealer do some work for me (hoses, belts, thermostat, flush radiator, as I am approaching 100,000 miles) due to lack of time. So I switched back to the OEM HPFP. My OCD (I really don’t truck dealerships) got the best of me and I just ended up doing all the work myself and put the XDI back on.

Ford “recommends” changing the HP fuel rail line if change HPFP more than once, so I have changed this piece 1 time.

As far as gas mileage. Think 9 mpg if in sport/Baja mode and ripping around. I get 12 - 13 mpg on the interstate driving 75+ mph. Non-e85 it 12 - 14 mpg in sport/Baja and 16 - 18 mpg interstate driving. E85 burns about 30% more fuel vs non ethanol.

That makes total sense and numbers seem to be dead on across the board. Appreciate the knowledge and clarity!

GraniteRiver

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I recently did a full E85 tune with injectors instead of the fuel pump on a 2019. I lost 2 mpg (went from 15.8 to 13.8), but out here in California the E85 is $2 plus per gallon less than 91. Less fuel cost and 160+ rwhp more, I'll make the trade for 10% less in fuel mileage :)