Build your own VHF Radio Package

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fozzy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can count me in if it goes. I just don't know **** about any of this stuff and will end up going with the consensus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MarkT

FRF Addict
Reaction score
We need to talk to the local supplier. If there is enough interest, I think they would pre-program... we'll try to get down there to ask the manager this week.

I have no idea what the Glamis Frequency is... if you know, I might be able to tell you if this radio is capable of it.

(Keeping in mind that legal transmit operation is the responsibility of the user.)

pat'sRAPTOR

FRF Addict
Reaction score
We need to talk to the local supplier. If there is enough interest, I think they would pre-program... we'll try to get down there to ask the manager this week.

I have no idea what the Glamis Frequency is... if you know, I might be able to tell you if this radio is capable of it.

(Keeping in mind that legal transmit operation is the responsibility of the user.)

Sounds great mark thanks for the info and for tryin to get the group buy going you rock:peace:

MarkT

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Sounds great mark thanks for the info and for tryin to get the group buy going you rock:peace:

Credit really needs to go to LVDezertDawg as he's the one that got me interested in upgrading our radios... And he was just as... or more... involved in the search for an affordable radio that "does it all" as I was...

Without 'dawg, finding this radio never would have happened.

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I hate to tell you this, but the guy who told you it was "illegal" to unlock the radio is not correct.
No argument Mark. But just to be totally clear, he didn't say it was illegal to unlock the radio. He said it was illegal for HIM to unlock it and sell it to me that way.

As I understand it (I'm not sure I do!) these radios are approved by the FCC for commercial sale in a specific configuration ("Part 90" in this case). So if he was to modify it before sale, he's nullified the FCC certification, and therefore made it "illegal" for sale in the US.

What happens to it after its sold is what it is; I imagine if your group buy goes off that all "sales" are completed before any programming happens, just to make sure the i's are dotted and t's crossed. The legality, as you've pointed out, after sale shifts to how its used, and not how it may or may not have been modified.

MarkT

FRF Addict
Reaction score
No argument Mark. But just to be totally clear, he didn't say it was illegal to unlock the radio. He said it was illegal for HIM to unlock it and sell it to me that way.

As I understand it (I'm not sure I do!) these radios are approved by the FCC for commercial sale in a specific configuration ("Part 90" in this case). So if he was to modify it before sale, he's nullified the FCC certification, and therefore made it "illegal" for sale in the US.

What happens to it after its sold is what it is; I imagine if your group buy goes off that all "sales" are completed before any programming happens, just to make sure the i's are dotted and t's crossed. The legality, as you've pointed out, after sale shifts to how its used, and not how it may or may not have been modified.

Jason- my radio was sold to me unlocked. Programming was done before it was paid for. It's not illegal. AGAIN- Check CineSLR's post. Powerwerx (one of the main Wouxun distributors in the US) says right on their website that this radio can be programmed to use on the business frequencies.

In contrast, modifying and operating a part 15 radio to operate outside of the "amateur" bands before or after the sale is illegal.

Bottom line: Hacked "amateur band" Yaesu and Icom radios are illegal to use on business frequencies they are not certified for. No reputable shop will do it for you before or after the sale.

The Wouxun is FCC certified for business frequencies so it is legal to be sold in a configuration that allows transmission on business frequencies.

And to be totally clear... just because a radio is legally certified for use on a frequency does not mean the operator can legally do so with out the proper license.

If you're in Baja and/or at an event where you are permitted to legally use race frequencies... go ahead and transmit. If you're not, you are breaking the law every time you transmit.

If you don't have a GMRS or Ham license... it is illegal for you to transmit on GMRS or Ham frequencies.

MURS frequencies are OK to transmit on without a license of any kind as long as you obey the low power rule... and keep in mind that in some areas MURS has business users that have priority over "free" users... common courtesy is to find another channel if the one you're on is in use.

Monitoring a frequency is perfectly legal. The only possible legal exception I can think of that would allow transmission on an unlicensed frequency is an emergency that threatens life or property.

What are the chances of getting caught? Probably the highest on Ham frequencies. Second highest on the business frequencies. And fines are pretty steep from what I can tell. GMRS may someday become open for use without a license due to the sheer number of radios being sold at the big box stores... How many people that buy those "bubble pack" radios at the local Wally World get licensed? Or only use them on the .5 watt FRS frequencies? Not many is my bet.

Anyone can buy a radio. Legal operation is the user's responsibility.

DubbsFaris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was just thinking I need about 3 more radios for events, and this one sounds like a great deal all around. If its pre programed, I dont have to bug anyone about helping me with setup, so double bonus. Im in for 3.