Build your own VHF Radio Package

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
there are 3 different ones ones which one do it need to get the one with
V: 136-174, U: 350-470 MHz V: 144-148, U: 420-450 MHz

V: 136-174, U: 420-520 MHz V: 144-148, U: 420-450 MHz

V: 136-174, V: 216-280 MHz V: 144-148, V: 223-225 MHz
The V: 136-174, U: 420-520 MHz V: 144-148, U: 420-450 MHz

I just stopped by my local Ham Radio Outlet and grabbed one. Here's the thing though; the model the guy handed me (the only one they sell) is the V: 136-174, U: 420-520 MHz V: 144-148, U: 420-450 MHz variant. When I asked about Txing in the 150-160 and 462 ranges, he said what I expected him to say; that by law those ranges cannot be Tx'd from a radio like this. When I asked about "unlocking" he broke out into a big grin and said that its not that it couldn't be unlocked, just that HE couldn't unlock it for me and sell it to me. Again that fits right in with my prior experience.

So I bought it, brought it home, got busy with Google and here's what I found. If someone was wanting to unlock their UV3D, they would:

1) buy the programming cable for $16. I bought one from HRO at the same time I bought the radio.

2) download and install the driver for the cable, found here.

3) download and run the "Wouxun-Unlock.exe" found here.

4) download the "UV3DUnlockFreqs.tw" config file, found here.

5) "Open" that config file from #4 within the Wouxun-Unlock software from #3.

6) plug in the programming cable making sure its not connected to the radio, and let Windows install the driver for it.

7) make sure your radio is powered off, and then plug the programming cable to into it. Its a tight fit so press firmly

8) power on the radio

9) click "EEP Write" within the Wouxun-Unlock software from #3, that has the config file loaded from #5.

10) watch the pretty red and green lights flash for a second, and then click OK on the success message.

11) unplug your radio from the programming cable and enjoy your new found and highly illegal freedoms.

Of course, I'm just speculating at all this. I would never knowingly transmit on frequencies restricted by the FCC on this radio. :birgits_tiredcoffee

Last edited:

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I am not Mark, he is MarkT on the board. I am working this Wouxon project with MarkT to see if there is enough interest for a group buy. It is a great handheld unit for the price. Enjoy
Ric I'm still interested. If you guys put something together I'll buy another one. These are too cool.

PS: Do you guys have a freq file yet you can send me to help program it?

pat'sRAPTOR

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Oh ok gotcha haha.. Well hell I'm very interested in a group buy you can add my name to that list and J once again you come through with some awesome info haha :waytogo:

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Hot damn this radio rocks. I dug my ICOM but the learning curve on that thing was so steep that if I didn't use it for a few months, I'd totally forget how. I had to keep the manual in the glove box!

But everything about this radio just makes sense. Programming is a breeze, menu navigation is straight forward, channel surfing is intuitive... yup this puppy rules.

Great find Mark and Ric!

MarkT

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I hate to tell you this, but the guy who told you it was "illegal" to unlock the radio is not correct.

CineSLR had the answer many posts back. Powerwerx primary market is ham. The radio in the box comes restricted to ham frequencies to prevent someone from "accidentally" programming and transmitting on a channel they don't have a license to run on. Kind of a CYA thing.

This same radio can and is legally sold to be used on the business frequencies and in order to do so, needs to be FCC part 90 certified. (the little sticker in the back of the radio confirms this) Ham radios usually only meet the Part 15 requirements.

At the same shop that unlocked and programmed the radios for us, they sell many other brands... several of which they said can be "hacked" to do what we wanted to do. But we were told that they would NOT unlock those radios for us as it was illegal to do so. There was no hesitation to unlock the Wouxun.

The difference is the programming. BigJ posted one way to do it.

The EASIEST way would be for us to approach the local supplier and see if he would "pre-program" the radios before shipping to FRF members. It's really a 5 second job if we provide him with the frequency list.

Another way is to follow the steps of installing the driver for the programming cable BEFORE plugging the cable into your computer...

Then download the KG-UV commander software (free) which is capable of programming the transmit frequency ranges you want. For non-ham licensed users, a suggestion would be to block the ham frequencies.

Or you can run "wide open" (TX range 100 to 600) on both VFO's. Now you can transmit on any frequency the radio is capable of.

Note: Even if the radio is TX blocked on certain frequencies, it can be programmed to receive most channels.

I don't currently have a "clean" frequency program file (mine has a lot of local Ham repeaters on it) but I'll work on one and email it to you J.

pat'sRAPTOR

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Hey mark so if this group buy does go down will they preprogram the radios with the frequency list and everything we need? That would be awesome and a lot of help cause I don't know the first thing about radios and all the freqs

Fozzy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow what a thread you guys started. So the wuoxom is the one I should get? There online for $120.00. I would like to have 4 or so. Put my vertex in the race rhino hooked up to the intercom and give these little radios to my buddies so we can still talk and have some range when we are on the trail and throw one with the mag antenna in the Raptor. Does this sound like it will work. Also can you get the Glamis sand dunes freq?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pat'sRAPTOR

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Hey fozzy you should get in on this group buy too I think if we get enough people interested we can get a great deal :waytogo: whata ya say huh haha