Broken Down within 350 miles: Turbo gave out

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TexasAggie94

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think this could also be tied to the supply chain issues and the high employment rate we have been experiencing across the world. Lack of quality control, oversight, and a work force that is becoming more transient and unpredictable. Manufacturing or installation could have been a factor.

beachz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just for reference, my dad had a similar issue with his TD F350 Dualie FX4 about fifteen years ago. Turbos are very tight toleranced precision components. It is not uncommon for defects to surface very early in their service live. They did the same thing for my dad... replaced the turbo in a day and he hasn't had an issue since... nor my brother who has the truck now.

Steve2013

Reaction score
Hey all, I picked up a 2021 Raptor (3rd Raptor to own) in LeadFoot on 35’s last Wednesday.

Pros: Purchased for LESS than MSRP

Cons: Truck left me stranded 2 hours from home in the middle of the night. Videos Attached

Details:
At 317 miles & around 36 hours into my ownership (Thursday @ 10:30PM) the truck lost power on the interstate as I was about 2 hours from home. While taking the soonest exit for a gas station, I noticed the CEL flashing as if there was misfire. As soon as I got to the gas station, the truck stalled out with loads of white smoke coming from both tailpipes. Still confused as to what exactly was wrong, I started the truck again when I noticed the oil pressure drop from 40psi once started to 10-12psi, then stalled out, still pouring white smoke out the tailpipes when the engine was on.

I was literally less than a mile away from a Ford Dealer, but for some reason I was adamant that the truck be brought to my hometown dealership, mainly for convenience (was quoted $620 by Ford Roadside and was fine with it) but I was unsuccessful in obtaining a tow truck through Ford Roadside Assistance after waiting over 2 hours and on 2 different dispatch requests. I ended up getting a $250 Uber home and abandoned the truck at the gas station for the night….worked out cheaper for me in the end!

I did text the dealer GM around 1AM as I was on my way home in the Uber and had a response back by 4AM, when he woke, telling me he would have my truck picked up from the gas station and brought to the home dealership (~120 miles away) along with a new truck delivered to my home to drive until they figure out what happened.

By Monday, the service foreman found the passenger side turbo to have failed (apparently turbine came apart) and also found metal shavings in the engine oil. Ford Corp has approved to replace the entire motor & both turbos from what I was told. Apparently the lead time on the laundry list of parts is 7-10 days, which I find to be unbelievable, especially in todays economic climate, but hey let’s see.

In closing, I haven’t found there to be anyone else that has reported this same issue so I’m hoping I’m the only one that has to experience this freak defect. I will say that I’ve never been stranded by any vehicle I’ve ever owned so let’s just say that was an humbling experience, for better words. I do find myself to be much more forgiving in this situation solely for 2 reasons:
1) I got the truck for $1900 BELOW MSRP ($77,920), unheard of right?

2) My dealer showed incredible customer service from getting my truck from over 120 miles away to dropping me off a replacement truck at my home all within 12 hours from the time of occurrence.

Will keep this thread updated once I hear more info and get more details.

Steve2013

Reaction score
Hey all, I picked up a 2021 Raptor (3rd Raptor to own) in LeadFoot on 35’s last Wednesday.

Pros: Purchased for LESS than MSRP

Cons: Truck left me stranded 2 hours from home in the middle of the night. Videos Attached

Details:
At 317 miles & around 36 hours into my ownership (Thursday @ 10:30PM) the truck lost power on the interstate as I was about 2 hours from home. While taking the soonest exit for a gas station, I noticed the CEL flashing as if there was misfire. As soon as I got to the gas station, the truck stalled out with loads of white smoke coming from both tailpipes. Still confused as to what exactly was wrong, I started the truck again when I noticed the oil pressure drop from 40psi once started to 10-12psi, then stalled out, still pouring white smoke out the tailpipes when the engine was on.

I was literally less than a mile away from a Ford Dealer, but for some reason I was adamant that the truck be brought to my hometown dealership, mainly for convenience (was quoted $620 by Ford Roadside and was fine with it) but I was unsuccessful in obtaining a tow truck through Ford Roadside Assistance after waiting over 2 hours and on 2 different dispatch requests. I ended up getting a $250 Uber home and abandoned the truck at the gas station for the night….worked out cheaper for me in the end!

I did text the dealer GM around 1AM as I was on my way home in the Uber and had a response back by 4AM, when he woke, telling me he would have my truck picked up from the gas station and brought to the home dealership (~120 miles away) along with a new truck delivered to my home to drive until they figure out what happened.

By Monday, the service foreman found the passenger side turbo to have failed (apparently turbine came apart) and also found metal shavings in the engine oil. Ford Corp has approved to replace the entire motor & both turbos from what I was told. Apparently the lead time on the laundry list of parts is 7-10 days, which I find to be unbelievable, especially in todays economic climate, but hey let’s see.

In closing, I haven’t found there to be anyone else that has reported this same issue so I’m hoping I’m the only one that has to experience this freak defect. I will say that I’ve never been stranded by any vehicle I’ve ever owned so let’s just say that was an humbling experience, for better words. I do find myself to be much more forgiving in this situation solely for 2 reasons:
1) I got the truck for $1900 BELOW MSRP ($77,920), unheard of right?

2) My dealer showed incredible customer service from getting my truck from over 120 miles away to dropping me off a replacement truck at my home all within 12 hours from the time of occurrence.

Will keep this thread updated once I hear more info and get more details.

OP
OP
W

WhiteWidow18

Reaction score
photos of truck

Attachments

• B9EAA40C-7933-4CAE-BBB6-077FDCA24BB4.jpeg
    B9EAA40C-7933-4CAE-BBB6-077FDCA24BB4.jpeg
    218.1 KB · Views: 126
  • 7A57320F-D609-4CF1-BC8F-D85D5A1093E9.jpeg
    7A57320F-D609-4CF1-BC8F-D85D5A1093E9.jpeg
    214.4 KB · Views: 122
  • 097A840A-7F64-4C91-9CF0-EBC872AC4972.jpeg
    097A840A-7F64-4C91-9CF0-EBC872AC4972.jpeg
    265.8 KB · Views: 117
  • F8282FCA-46C0-4939-A21C-0195D9A41044.jpeg
    F8282FCA-46C0-4939-A21C-0195D9A41044.jpeg
    198.8 KB · Views: 115
  • 13738AE5-0AE7-440B-BD4C-6D5291FE476A.jpeg
    13738AE5-0AE7-440B-BD4C-6D5291FE476A.jpeg
    216.4 KB · Views: 122

BaseRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Having the cab removed from the chassis for access to the defective turbo looks pretty crazy. Looks like your dealership jumped on the repairs pretty quick.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Having the cab removed from the chassis for access to the defective turbo looks pretty crazy. Looks like your dealership jumped on the repairs pretty quick.
From what he stated earlier, it appears they’re replacing the long block and both turbos. Agreed, I’m very impressed with how fast they’re moving with the repair!