Broke the rear end......

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Raptorguy21

The Bob Vila of Trucks
Reaction score
About 3 months ago, I was headin' out to a local bondfire spot on a friday night. I got to the dirt and proceed to leave the truck in 2WD, offroad mode, turn off TC, and engage the locker.......the locker kinda made a funny noise and then showed to be engaged. I gave a lil gas and a small pop came from the ass end. I got out and looked and everything seemed fine......continued on driving till I hit some soft sand, I got in her about 3/4 throttle and then BOOM! the truck came to dead stop with an aweful grinding noise. I figured some how I had broke the ring and pinion.......I popped her into 4HI and limped her out and home. Called the next morning for the dealership to come get me......

Picture010.jpg

Turns out it wasn't as bad as I thought as the ring and pinion were fine....

Picture013.jpg

I had broken the splines off passenger side axle

Picture014.jpg

Picture015-1.jpg

From what I've seen on the other forums, this could have been a huge problem for Ford, as there are a couple other trucks this happened to, but as it turns out it was just a small batch. The dealership took care of me and did it under warranty and still 3 months later the truck is running as strong as ever......

BOJANGLES

<span style="color: red;"><b>Administrator</b></sp
Supporting Member
Reaction score
didn't you tell me that you wondered if this wasn't somehow caused by the stress you put on your truck when pulling out some big massive truck that was stuck in the sand shortly before this all happened?

Does that theory still hold any water in your opinion, or do you chalk this up to some kind of defect?

I noticed SHM did the exact same thing on their Raptor after they swapped out the engine and tranny in theirs.

OP
OP
Raptorguy21

Raptorguy21

The Bob Vila of Trucks
Reaction score
didn't you tell me that you wondered if this wasn't somehow caused by the stress you put on your truck when pulling out some big massive truck that was stuck in the sand shortly before this all happened?

Does that theory still hold any water in your opinion, or do you chalk this up to some kind of defect?

I noticed SHM did the exact same thing on their Raptor after they swapped out the engine and tranny in theirs.

Well pulling out that '91 Dodge 3500 the weekend before hurt it I'm sure, if that was the cause......but from what I have seen from on the forums, I might have to chalk it up to defect as there are just too many trucks that broke the axle in the same place much like myself and SHM did.......

Xjrguy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
There was a similar incident on an Anza Borrego Raptor get together earlier this year.