Brakes?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Steven Vaccaro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anyone feel like you really have to lay into the brake pedal for the truck to stop? I thought it was just me, but my brother drove the truck and told me the same thing. I'm wondering if I should have it looked at.

Nick@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
The OEM brakes have a long pedal travel until they kick in. We felt the same way when we had stock brakes. The Alcon kit we installed eliminated that issue and significantly improved pedal travel and pedal feel.

zemuron99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Several others have mentioned this as well in other threads. I do feel the brakes are soft, but certainly adequate. Others have said this is intentional, for the purposes the truck was designed for. Intent was to offer greater modulation of the brakes when off-roading...the greater pedal travel allows a more nuanced application of the brakes when needed. It was never designed to be a 0-100-0 champion, hence the relatively soft feel to them. If you want the better feel, then it sounds like the Alcon brakes are the way to go for you.

OP
OP
Steven Vaccaro

Steven Vaccaro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Several others have mentioned this as well in other threads. I do feel the brakes are soft, but certainly adequate. Others have said this is intentional, for the purposes the truck was designed for. Intent was to offer greater modulation of the brakes when off-roading...the greater pedal travel allows a more nuanced application of the brakes when needed. It was never designed to be a 0-100-0 champion, hence the relatively soft feel to them. If you want the better feel, then it sounds like the Alcon brakes are the way to go for you.

Thanks, They are fine for now, I just need to get used to them.

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score

pretty much nailed it. It is not a street truck, it is an off road truck. brakes that go full on or full off with little pedal travel would be very dangerous when crawling up a mountain.

MFNG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve had four Ford vehicles, including the Raptor, and all of them have had long brake travel.

Anyone else notice this? Seems to be a Ford design I guess?

I almost threw up when I drove the in-laws new Kia because the brakes had so little pedal travel my chest was in my throat when I stepped on it. It was nice once you got used to it for them to be firm and actually stop when you press the pedal.