Brake pad Gen 2

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BoostCreep

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I’ve used mostly yellow and blue, yellow on the things I dd more. If you’re ok with dust they’re both pretty quiet with excellent initial bite and modulation.

MRV99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had powerstop kit on my 15 lariat with 305/55/20’s. I will NEVER buy those again. 20k miles and front and rears were smoked. Not to mention the rotors were in bad condition. I don’t drive my truck like a race car, that is what the M3 is for. Of that 20k miles, towed a popup camper w/ brakes for 2k in the Midwest and maybe 500 on a 5k lbs trailer. I wish I took pictures of just how bad the rotors were. I moved back to a good quality solid rotor and OEM style pad and I could not tell the difference.

Zeusmotorworks

Semi-retired, now just a happy grumpy old man!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well due to the era of my experience maybe EBC is worth a **** now and powerstop isn't. However, it would not be in the best interest of the customer to go off a couple peoples experiences alone. Not only could have pad compounds changed, but many manufacturers offer several different compounds within their product lines. From motorsports I'd say people tend to fall into the NFL syndrome. They find something they like with how THEY are using them and stick with that choice forever. Same goes for bad experiences. Maybe better advice would be to see what the forum vendors like Freedom Motorsports and others are pushing these days and make a choice from there. Think Freedom uses Centric rotors and pads.

dhiestan

Reaction score
I just changed my brakes on my 2018. A quick look while rotating my tires I thought not much brake material was left. Upon removal, I was surprised I had at least 60+% pad material remaining front/back (37K miles). I had purchased the kit so I changed them out anyways. The OEM brakes are much better than I expected. Probably would have lasted 80K. I replaced with Power Stop Z36 kit (pads/rotors/hardware) and have been very happy so far (about 300 miles). Brake feel improved slightly. It would be interesting to have done a 60-0 distance comparison between the OEM and Power Stop. Also, a test until brake fade is reached comparison.

Reaction score
I’ve always been a fan of Brake Motive. The guy is an automotive engineer who has his own brand.

My wife can go through stock brakes in no time. I can honestly say these held up 2 to 3 times longer.

r8ders

Reaction score
I ran a couple sets of Hawk LTS and a set of EBC’s on my last F-150 and preferred the more linear feel the Hawks had. The Hawks weren’t to hard on the rotors either. I didn’t off road it much but used it more as a hauler for my 2 track bikes and all my gear. I put 240K on that truck.
I will note the EBC rotors were horrible.
For my cars I like to run Ferodo DS2500 or Carbotech and would use them on the truck if they offered them

Reaper308

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve been running R1 Concepts Drilled and slotted rotors with there performance pads for the last 25,000 and super happy with them.

Mister Pinky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would not recommend aftermarket slotted/drilled rotors. The drilling and slotting makes them thinner than the stock solid rotors. Slotted rotors will evacuate heat best but at the cost of vibration under braking and premature pad wear.

I’ve done a lot of research on brakes over the years and tried different combos. From what I’ve found is that usually the FACTORY pads on performance vehicles are the best you can get for all around driving. The only time I’ve seen an aftermarket pad that was worth the money was dedicated track friction.

If you note on RockAuto, the OEM factory pads are $100 some odd bucks. Compare that to the prices on the rest. Why do you think that is?

IMO, the only way to “upgrade” your brakes is a one of the big brake fixed calipers like Alcon. But that doesn’t fix the problem of limited heat dissipation from the small factory rotors. Unless you go to a larger wheel diameter and shove larger rotors and calipers on there, there isn’t much you can do. There’s a reason why Ram went with 18”s for the TRX.

Last edited:

FINRPTR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm going on my 4th set of factory pads, replaced the rotors twice, also on my third set of tires (47k miles). I live in the mountains, one way is 45 miles, and the road is very fun to drive, I drive my Raptor like a sports car. Usually I start getting brake fade about 35 miles down.

I recently drove a F150 Police Responder, those brakes are amazing. Next set of pads will be those, I believe the part number is ML3Z-2001-B.

Attachments

• IMG_0065.JPG
    IMG_0065.JPG
    198.6 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_0066.JPG
    IMG_0066.JPG
    218.7 KB · Views: 34