Brake pad Gen 2

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Alysium

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm going on my 4th set of factory pads, replaced the rotors twice, also on my third set of tires (47k miles). I live in the mountains, one way is 45 miles, and the road is very fun to drive, I drive my Raptor like a sports car. Usually I start getting brake fade about 35 miles down.

I recently drove a F150 Police Responder, those brakes are amazing. Next set of pads will be those, I believe the part number is ML3Z-2001-B.
I have JL3Z-2200-B for the part number for 2018-2020 police responder pads.

I dont gave any issues with the stock pads as I can lock up the tires anytime I want to do so. the only gripe I have is that it fades too quickly.

I wonder if the police responder pads are any different or are they just a longer lasting pad.

Zeusmotorworks

Semi-retired, now just a happy grumpy old man!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fade is my gripe. I live in Texas (70-85 mph speed "limits").

The pads on my former agency's fords were noticeably more fade resistant than OE on same civilian models. However, they were also more noisy due to the semi-metallic compound. Or so we were told. The original sets generally were not noisy and can't help but wonder if fleet services were using different semi-metallic replacements, installing them dry, if not both. Gov't is ALWAYS low bid. So I always assumed fleet was just slapping the pads in dry.

The Ferodo DS2500s I keep swooning over were utterly quiet if the OE Brembo anti-squeal shims were retained and anti-squeal compound was properly used. Once again this is a completely different application but referenced as the most aggressive street pad I ever used and I doubt most here would pay $300 for a front set of pads (although WORTH it). Too bad there is not a F150 fitment.

FINRPTR sparked my memory on the responder pads and I do have to say due to my experiences it warrants looking into. Ours were issued take home vehicles so you got to know yours well, and were always happy when you got that brand spankin new replacement.

Last edited:

Zeusmotorworks

Semi-retired, now just a happy grumpy old man!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also noticing more and more folks coming out of the woodwork who are satisfied with the Z36 package. Still even though I recommended them, I would consider it a daily driver upgrade and not a HEAVY use upgrade. I didn’t make that clear earlier And if I lived in a desert and ACTUALLY used my Raptor in the desert/mud I’d want undrilled/slotted rotors.

FINRPTR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is my understanding of Ford parts (brakes), please correct me if I am wrong. Ford develops a brake pad recipe specifically for each vehicle according to it's intended use. Last I heard it was over 126 different recipes. They work very well, don't dust the wheels very much, and are very quiet. To get the "Factory" pad, you would have to go to the dealer and order the "Blue Box" parts. These are official OEM, come in a box with blue graphics. Very expensive.

The other parts you get, come in a "Motorcraft" box with orange graphics, there are equivalent to OEM, but really are aftermarket pads. They use the same recipe for most all F series trucks and Expeditions. Motorcraft used to have about 30 recipes. These pads still pass the Federal VSSM tests required by OEM parts, but will be a little more noisy and make a little more dust. They also cost half as much as Blue Box parts.

Motorcraft also has a "Super Duty" line, for most fleet commercial vehicles, these are better pads for harder use, I have used these on all my trucks for about 20 years. I drive my Raptor harder than any other previous truck, so I need better brakes. Hoping the Responder pads will do the trick.

Mister Pinky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is my understanding of Ford parts (brakes), please correct me if I am wrong. Ford develops a brake pad recipe specifically for each vehicle according to it's intended use. Last I heard it was over 126 different recipes. They work very well, don't dust the wheels very much, and are very quiet. To get the "Factory" pad, you would have to go to the dealer and order the "Blue Box" parts. These are official OEM, come in a box with blue graphics. Very expensive.

The other parts you get, come in a "Motorcraft" box with orange graphics, there are equivalent to OEM, but really are aftermarket pads. They use the same recipe for most all F series trucks and Expeditions. Motorcraft used to have about 30 recipes. These pads still pass the Federal VSSM tests required by OEM parts, but will be a little more noisy and make a little more dust. They also cost half as much as Blue Box parts.

Motorcraft also has a "Super Duty" line, for most fleet commercial vehicles, these are better pads for harder use, I have used these on all my trucks for about 20 years. I drive my Raptor harder than any other previous truck, so I need better brakes. Hoping the Responder pads will do the trick.

This is true. The Raptor pads are NOT the same as the regular F150 pads, and I believe they the police responder units are even better. The Raptor pads are $80 off RA and the PR pads are near $100.

And as for the guys above talking about fade, fade is caused by a buildup of heat between the rotor and the pad. While changing pads can help, the main reason the brakes are fading is because the overall rotor size is undersized for the vehicle. There’s simply not enough rotor to dissipate heat in a quick enough fashion.

Ford is famous for doing this and always has been. The 99-04 Super Duties had massively undersized brakes because Ford didn’t want to make a 17” wheel standard to clear larger components. The 17+ Super Duties are no different. They added considerable mass over the previous generation yet a 17” wheel is still standard, with a braking package similar to the outgoing Gen.

BoostCreep

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Fade is my gripe. I live in Texas (70-85 mph speed "limits").

The pads on my former agency's fords were noticeably more fade resistant than OE on same civilian models. However, they were also more noisy due to the semi-metallic compound. Or so we were told. The original sets generally were not noisy and can't help but wonder if fleet services were using different semi-metallic replacements, installing them dry, if not both. Gov't is ALWAYS low bid. So I always assumed fleet was just slapping the pads in dry.

The Ferodo DS2500s I keep swooning over were utterly quiet if the OE Brembo anti-squeal shims were retained and anti-squeal compound was properly used. Once again this is a completely different application but referenced as the most aggressive street pad I ever used and I doubt most here would pay $300 for a front set of pads (although WORTH it). Too bad there is not a F150 fitment.

FINRPTR sparked my memory on the responder pads and I do have to say due to my experiences it warrants looking into. Ours were issued take home vehicles so you got to know yours well, and were always happy when you got that brand spankin new replacement.
The Ferodo’s are fantastic.