Bought a tuned truck from a dealer???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
L
Reaction score
I have a similar situation as the OP. My truck came with a tune controller in the glove box, but I have never screwed around with it in the 2 years that I've had the truck. Love the truck the way it is, but lately curious if any settings can be modified to get better gas mileage, etc. I'm not confident about messing with it, don't want to screw anything up. I will post a pic of the controller later. Not sure who did the tune or if that can be determined by the controller. I assume it plugs into OBD port.
Yeah post it, I'm curious to see which one it is

ChrisMcP05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will say I have had my accessport tuned on my raptor since almost day 1 of ownership (brand new). I’m around 35k miles currently and it does a world of difference, especially with the TCM tune assisting with the shifts. I need to apply the @GooseTuned maps, as I keep telling myself I will but forget to reach out.

You can uninstall and reset factory backup. I’d imagine the person saved the factory data, as it makes sense to do so every time. You can also then adjust the octane you want to run on the tune.

Are there any other mods you can see? Intercooler, etc? I imagine they’re just running a real base stage 1 tune. It does alter the driving style of the truck tremendously though from stock - which honestly just feels like a normal truck when you go back to it.

Meat2022

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If someone doesn't answer my emails , texts, or phone calls on a sale like this..I go in person and handle it and first ask why they are ignoring me. I bet they were really responsive on selling you the vehicle and making sure they called on all paperwork and anything THEY NEEDED! Now get them to answer questions of why the ****** customer service after a a sale. I'd hit them with a Google review and let the world know what to expect at least what you've experienced. You might get them to adjust the cost of that extended warranty they sold you for not helping you literally after you just bought the truck. That's just me. Maybe I'm to much of a soldier and demand answers when I feel it's important.

GetOtterHere

Reaction score
I had the same issue with a Subaru STI I bought that was tuned, with NO tuner. I wouldn't be worried. The only thing it'd possibly void is the engine, and I don't think these engines are going to blow with a tune. They run pretty conservative numbers PSI, an I'm sure the tune isn't that crazy. Are there aftermarket mods on it? Do Ford even check for tunings? It's not really a tuner's vehicle. I'm sure you'll be fine, you'll break something off road that's not covered...more so than breaking the engine.

ONE ISSUE: if the dealer refilled your tank, they most likely did not put in 91, and probably put 87 in to save the $$$...that can be an issue if it's tuned to a certain octane. But these blocks are iron forged, no? Or was that just gen juan?

New recaros

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The dealer did not know the tune was on there. You let them know! It easy now for them to weasel out. They will say you added the tune or the previous owner never told them. You think a judge would say the dealer has to know every part is OEM or exactly which parts are aftermarket? If the previous owner replaced the rear shackle bolts with these titanium ones, but never told the dealer and they broke on the new owner causing a crash is it the dealers fault? No way

OP
OP
L
Reaction score
I will say I have had my accessport tuned on my raptor since almost day 1 of ownership (brand new). I’m around 35k miles currently and it does a world of difference, especially with the TCM tune assisting with the shifts. I need to apply the @GooseTuned maps, as I keep telling myself I will but forget to reach out.

You can uninstall and reset factory backup. I’d imagine the person saved the factory data, as it makes sense to do so every time. You can also then adjust the octane you want to run on the tune.

Are there any other mods you can see? Intercooler, etc? I imagine they’re just running a real base stage 1 tune. It does alter the driving style of the truck tremendously though from stock - which honestly just feels like a normal truck when you go back to it.
The truck came with an x pipe and a cobb intake! which i believe it is accounted for on the OTS 91 tune

OP
OP
L
Reaction score
I had the same issue with a Subaru STI I bought that was tuned, with NO tuner. I wouldn't be worried. The only thing it'd possibly void is the engine, and I don't think these engines are going to blow with a tune. They run pretty conservative numbers PSI, an I'm sure the tune isn't that crazy. Are there aftermarket mods on it? Do Ford even check for tunings? It's not really a tuner's vehicle. I'm sure you'll be fine, you'll break something off road that's not covered...more so than breaking the engine.

ONE ISSUE: if the dealer refilled your tank, they most likely did not put in 91, and probably put 87 in to save the $$$...that can be an issue if it's tuned to a certain octane. But these blocks are iron forged, no? Or was that just gen juan?
From what I read, they only check for tunes when they suspect a tune has been installed during warranty claims, I don't think they go around checking for the tune immediately you know? But then again, that's dependent on the dealer

I also think I'm OK, but just thought I'd get opinions from other raptor owners, especially since the cost of this thing is so much higher than my previous car builds

Pralix

Reaction score
Also, the way they may be able to tell is the start/stop cycle counter in the ECU. When you flash a new tune, that number may get reset. If you have 30K miles on your truck and they find that there are only 10 start/stop cycles in the counter, they will know that some process reset the ECU. In general, they are not going to look at it unless they are trying to weasel out of a warranty claim. Even if they found the vehicle had been tuned, they would still have to prove that the tune caused the damage before they could deny the claim (at least in the USA per the Magnuson Moss Warranty act).

Reaction score
like the tittle says, I bought a 2019 ford raptor from a Dodge dealer recently and after 4 days of having the truck, I discovered that the truck was tuned on a COBB accessport. I found it in the glove compartment.

I am not concerned about trucks performance as it drives incredible, in fact I don't know what the OEM tune would be like because I've never driven a stock Raptor. When pluggin in the accessport, it looks like it is tuned on 91, I believe it is the one that's readily available on the tuner but I'm not 100%.

i am coming on here to get an opinion from you guys, since the truck only has 30k miles, what do you guys suggest I do? I reached out to the dealer as soon as I found out, but i never got a response.

i guess i can "unmarry" the accessport, but how do i know that the one backed up is the original oem tune retrieved from the truck?

Any feedback / comments would be greatly appreciated...
By chance was this Dodge in torrance?