Boss Hoss Needs Help Choosing New Headlight HID Replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Boss Hoss

FRF Addict
Reaction score
UPDATE:

Well after discussing with Dawson and determining that he feels worse about this than I do. Not to mention the fact that his product is still the best one out there imho. So have decided that this problem must be solved. Have brought in an outside resource that is more qualified to look at this than anyone I could even dream of. Had a telecon with him earlier today and had a conf call with him and Dawson a few minutes ago. He has even agreed to do a destructive evaluation of the offending part which is way above the call as a favor to me but we do go back a few years.

Cannot believe that this is the only product of its type that exists the goal now must be restated------Make The Existing Lights As Robust As Possible.

OK--the Raptor Retrofits died today. Weird electrical problem. Would not come on except when clicking the "flash to pass" feature on the blinker. Left them on because they would not turn off at all even with engine off. After a few minutes the drivers side quit completely then had to unplug the passenger side from the power supply to get it to turn off.

Looking cool is great and loved the light but Reliability is what it is about for me and these made it about a month....

Last edited:

Phyguy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
OK--the Raptor Retrofits died today. Weird electrical problem. Would not come on except when clicking the "flash to pass" feature on the blinker. Left them on because they would not turn off at all even with engine off. After a few minutes the drivers side quit completely then had to unplug the passenger side from the power supply to get it to turn off.:puke:

Looking cool is great and loved the light but Reliability is what it is about for me and these made it about a month....

Which one to try next????? Any suggestions? Will be selling the Raptor Retrofit ones soon --- going to go in next week and drop off the truck to have the stock ones put back in.

Need to drive the Raptor to Santa Fe next week but that is out now so the Jeep using the JW Speaker lights will go instead. In 2 weeks will be going to Charleston to visit my daughter and SIL and need to take the truck to haul out a couple of things so time is of the essence..

Dawson didn't make it right? He's been great to work with both initially and post sale with customer service for me.

OP
OP
Boss Hoss

Boss Hoss

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Sorry don't mean to be rude but this is a little over your head. If you did what I do with my truck you would understand. Reliability is my number one concern not just looking cool.

Not a issue of Dawson making it right it is more involved than that. Like I have stated am willing to take the financial hit on these. If they are coming out for trouble shooting after a month then I need something more robust that will survive in the harsh placs that I drive. Mine is not a street queen . I knew it was a risk getting these. Think they might work better for someone who operates in a less demanding environment than I do.

If I have a test or qusl set of parts that is different but this is supposed to be a production configuration if you will.

Maxx2893

Rock and Roll Offroad
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you have the time in your schedule, you can always order the parts and do your own retrofit.

Let me know on your current ones. I can't afford to buy new ones, depending in price they might be a good project for me.

Banned
Reaction score
Sorry don't mean to be rude but this is a little over your head. If you did what I do with my truck you would understand. Reliability is my number one concern not just looking cool.

Not a issue of Dawson making it right it is more involved than that. Like I have stated am willing to take the financial hit on these. If they are coming out for trouble shooting after a month then I need something more robust that will survive in the harsh placs that I drive. Mine is not a street queen . I knew it was a risk getting these. Think they might work better for someone who operates in a less demanding environment than I do.

If I have a test or qusl set of parts that is different but this is supposed to be a production configuration if you will.

And just what exactly do you do sir.
And there is no trouble shooting involved. Replace the busted stuff, and here's the kicker, COVER IT when you wash it. Boom. Problem solved right there. How's that for trouble shooting.

I too rely on my truck in what some would call harsh conditions (winter) to get me to work. 3 hours driving a day. So if my vehicle isn't reliable I'll be stranded in -40 temps. So I don't think vehicle reliability is "over my head". But hey, what do I know.

OP
OP
Boss Hoss

Boss Hoss

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I am in military aerospace and have been for 29 years. Have been on more development programs for different systems on the F-16 including variants, A-12, F22, C-130J, and the F35 aircraft than I can count. Many of these involved electrical design, development, qualification and ultimately production.

Most recent issue that is remotely related to this is the Linier Discrete Interface Modules or LDIMS and the Actuator Interface Module AIM's that are deployed on the Raptor. There was a moisture problem and it took almost 2 years to get it solved. Conformal coatings are normally enough to remedy/prevent this and are used as a matter of course in our industry.

If having certain components conformal coated in my next set of lights then so be it but I feel there will be a less expensive solution. Will be working that out next week when I get back to the office. The point is my young friend that there is a lot more to deploying a lighting assembly than just putting components together even if they are best of breed. Manufacturing processes and controls are also required to ensure that the ultimate product will reliability perform in the environment in which it was designed for.

Is this clear enough for you or do I need to go into more detail?

Last edited: