Border Patrol Raptor Spotted

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DubbsFaris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Somehow, I have missed this thread until today...I need to get on more often I guess.

Glaring idiot aside, There is some information that has not been stated here you guys might find interesting that our resident agent maybe cannot share about the Border Patrol and the Raptor.

A few years ago, the Raptor went through the process of being approved for govt use, but had one major hurdle. By Federal law, no govt vehicle can be equipped with leather seats. Leather is viewed as a luxury option, even though it holds up better than cloth and almost nixed the deal to procure the raptor for Govt use. Ford made a special exception, and created a Govt package that deletes the leather seats so that they could be used for Border Patrol and other agencies. The Ford Raptor is not the only tool BoPa uses to protect our borders, but it filled a gap of pursuit/observation that before the Raptor had to be filled by use of ATVs. They still use ATVs extensively, and if you can imagine the agent that is exposed sitting on an ATV, or worse yet- this little known fact-

2 years ago (or at least that is when it was brought to my attention), in an effort to cut spending, BoPa vehicles were on strict rationing for fuel. Most patrol vehicles were parked in strategic spots and under strict orders not to move. Agents were bused in and dropped off/ picked up, which basically meant their were on foot for almost any of their duties. There were exceptions, but if you drive along the borders, which I drive almost all the TX border, this was something you would always notice.

My point being this- you can have your view, and you are welcome to it, but keep in mind your audience and subject. Does our govt have a spending problem? Yes. But to suggest BP using a vehicle that absolutely fits a need is a splurge is the kind of ridiculous accounting that creates more problems than it solves. If you want to cut 50X the entire BoPa budget by simply wanting to quit giving financial aid to North Korea who is threatening to nuke us and go to war? Im all over that fix, and we can go ahead and cut aid to a bunch of other countries we shouldnt be supporting as well, and we could be reducing our deficit with that one change to our policy. Imagine that. Dont throw away dollars to save pennies. If we looked at our budget from that standpoint, we wouldnt be discussing this, and you wouldnt be viewed as the single biggest ********* on the forum.

As for the Border Patrol agents that are keeping you safe, how about a simple thank you, and hope the raptor makes your job safer, more effective, and hey, if it brings a little extra comfort and fun to it, bonus. These folks dont get much in the perks of the job column. Why dont you just cut them some slack and thank them? They are out there risking their lives every day, and you dont know what the cover even looks like to the book that would scare you shitless just what they keep out of your backyard, day in and day out. You criticize the agent that drove into the creek?! You dont know the details of that incident. I bet there was a very good reason or explanation for it. Maybe he was chasing down a drug runner or a "coyote" and drove off in it to avoid getting shot looking for cover. That surely isnt the Rio Grande, so whatever the case, it happened on our side of the border. BoPa agents have the ********* job there is IMHO, because D bags just like you dont realize that they are almost always stationed at a post where they are 100 miles from the nearest fast food restaurant, walmart, ******* forget movie theatres or other things you get to waddle your happy ass to on a whim. They sit in the baking sun and suck in dust and wake up to eyes filled with sand, and blisters on their feet. EVERY ******* DAY. Then to top it off, their families have to endure a lack of civilization, kids with ****** schools and education, and oh yeah, some ******** who would shoot them dead if they get in their way and they had the chance to do it without a second thought.

If this were my forum, your ******** would be banned by IP address.

You dont deserve to own a Raptor.:untitled:

Madcowranch

Genetically Modified
Reaction score
Oooh man. That was an entertaining read. Don't know how I missed this thread either, Dubbs.

gcmj45acp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No luxury package. I was actually told they came with cloth seats

I think those purchased by DHS (border patrol) and other federal agencies are the only ones with cloth seats. But when you're buying 30-40 vehicles at a time, you tend to have more stroke than the average buyer in dictating what you want done with the truck.

FWIW, since I've been participating in a number of management hunts near the Texas border over the last few months, I've seen quite a few of these. I posted the photo of the one Border Patrol got stuck in a fast moving flood shortly after delivery. At the time, that particular station in Arizona had just three Raptors that were part of the original evaluation program. The trucks have since become regular fleet vehicles and there are many, many more of them now. I don't know how many but, I've identified at least a half-dozen unique Border Patrol Raptors running around south of Junction, Texas.

SrBug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i wonder if they have silicone coolant hoses and other goodies like the police interceptor vehicles?

Voodoo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was watching an episode of Border Wars on NatGeo tonight and caught a glimpse of a Raptor service vehicle. Cool to see that some of these agents are able to drive a truck that's worthy of the duties they are expected to perform.

View attachment 15036

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

There only driven by supervisors right now. I see them everywhere down here in Hell Centro.

Macman

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Stuff like this has always been an issue for Gov't agencies. Civilians just do not understand the equipment requirements to get what is necessary to do the job properly. It has always been an issue in the Canadian Military as well. We decide on a list of requirements then have to settle on the lowest bid that may not cover all of the requirements. Then we go with that purchase and it costs us more in the long term vs buying what we originally wanted. This is the case with the BP imo... they need a vehicle that will survive the desert and the Raptor is the perfect production vehicle. However, people would be much happier to save a buck buy an inferior product and then spend more to make it less capable than buying the Raptor in the first place.

This is why politics and acquisitions should be kept separate. If the equipment meets all the requirements and is reasonable there should be no questions asked.

/rant

DezertRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know this thread is old but as a BoPo myself for the past 3.5yrs in AZ i couldnt stay quiet.....i just want to thank every taxpayer for allowing CBP enough budget and common sense to have raptors available for us...there have been incidents where only raptors have been able to respond due to the bad terrain, some might think we have lifted tahoes or wranglers but that was old-patrol....due to budget cuts, such spending has been deemed unneccesary by DC

I have heard rumors of BP going to buy nothing but raptors because it is more costeffective...caging a tahoe or any dodge ram puts alot of weight on the chassis and ends up bending frames even with AM shocks/struts

mudblood

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I was watching an episode of Border Wars on NatGeo tonight and caught a glimpse of a Raptor service vehicle. Cool to see that some of these agents are able to drive a truck that's worthy of the duties they are expected to perform.

View attachment 15036

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I wonder if Obama allows them to do Mid Perch???????????:okay2: