GEN 2 Bolts shearing—High Pressure Fuel Pump

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

isis

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
X-ray, magnaflux, sonic check, check grain patterns of the metal etc etc. They can put that part through all kids of tests depending on what they want to find out.
Science project!

Reaction score
Thank you for this post. My truck is at around 57k and I had phaser work done around 53k. I’m having the exact same problem you are having and I am taking it to the dealer this Friday.

Did you happen to be running any tunes or aftermarket stuff? My dealer in Colorado didn’t give me any gripe about my Cobb FMIC and intake but I’m currently on a road trip and this happened. I’m a little nervous that the FL dealer I am taking it to is going to try to blame it on my mods and try to get out of warranty claims.

OP
OP
Proflyer

Proflyer

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you for this post. My truck is at around 57k and I had phaser work done around 53k. I’m having the exact same problem you are having and I am taking it to the dealer this Friday.

Did you happen to be running any tunes or aftermarket stuff? My dealer in Colorado didn’t give me any gripe about my Cobb FMIC and intake but I’m currently on a road trip and this happened. I’m a little nervous that the FL dealer I am taking it to is going to try to blame it on my mods and try to get out of warranty claims.
They did not. I’m a full list of mods, and none of them have squat to do with the camshaft doing whatever it does. It’s actually even a new part for the cam that runs the HPFP. PM me if you get stuck and I can try and see if I can find my repair order.

ImReallySmoke

Reaction score
Same tech who did my phasers fixed it the first time it sheared off. He’s the most senior tech at a huge dealership. I asked about torque as well and he said he just had snap-on certify his wrenches, which I guess is something they’ve started doing once a year since all these small bolts are TTY and what not. He’s stumped as well. First time was an ‘oh, ok that’s odd. Bad bolt.’ Second time now 200 miles later new bolts and pump is more of an ‘ok, wtf is going on here?!’ He even pulled the cover the first time to make sure all was well under it. Put it all back together and new bolts/pump. Very odd!
I'm having the same issue with the bolts shearing off of my Jetta. I torqued new ones down with nuts on the end. The entire pump came off the bracket and broke. I know they're different vehicles but I can't find any help from Volkswagen. Did you ever find what's causing you issues?

Sunchild714

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gonna be a different issue. There was a recall an certain 2018's where the HPFP bracket was weak, causing a crack and vibrations resulting in broken bolts. This is what happened to mine while in Baja. Remedy was just to replace HPFP with a new one that has a stronger bracket. Been solid ever since.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Gonna be a different issue. There was a recall a certain 2018's where the HPFP bracket was weak, causing a crack and vibrations resulting in broken bolts. This is what happened to mine while in Baja. Remedy was just to replace HPFP with a new one that has a stronger bracket. Been solid ever since.
What recall was this? :think: