GEN 2 Bolts shearing—High Pressure Fuel Pump

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Proflyer

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok brain trust, here’s a new one.

On my 2018 the bolts that hold the HPFP down have sheared off TWICE now. First time was about 200 miles ago, and about 2k after the cam phaser repair. Front bolt sheared off, and then the bracket broke around the second bolt. If you look at first pic you can see where the bracket broke around rear bolt.

a33416b69816dbb17a4a85b175033be0.jpg

Second time now—BOTH bolts sheared off. Pump is just sitting there held by the lines. When I pulled the cover to see what was up, I could lift the pump up and down and under it I could feel both bolts broken off in the valve cover.

Truck is back at the dealer (great guys) but now Ford wants to have an engineer look at it as they can’t figure out what is going on. Pic 2 & 3 is the most current failure. Last pic is the bolt from the first time. It was still sitting in the bracket when the tech took the engine cover off.

Anyone else ever see this? The HPFP is bolted on top of the passenger side valve cover about 2/3 of the way back. It’s driven by the cam. The under side of the pump looks like an upside down valve and spring basically. Cam drives it to like 5000psi or so. When it’s come apart both times I lost all turbo power. Truck runs, but in severe limp mode since it’s just getting like 80psi from the tank pump. [mention]FordTechOne [/mention] this may be a first for you.

b65895f3b5eb0f503b7ee70307fabc68.jpg
8e24b597878743f5189e5552a4fdb3be.jpg
4b1980f6a7f005c1fbe7420df72bb8e1.jpg

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Dang, obviously they used new bolts last time, gotta wonder why its pushing up so hard on the pump. Either its pushing too far into the pump or the inside of the pump doesn't travel as far as it should. Interested to hear what they find.

JohnyPython

FRF Addict
Reaction score
How much thread entry is there? Are the internal threads buggered up? Were the bolts over torqued?
Maybe try higher grade bolts. Or helicoil/timesert.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ok brain trust, here’s a new one.

On my 2018 the bolts that hold the HPFP down have sheared off TWICE now. First time was about 200 miles ago, and about 2k after the cam phaser repair. Front bolt sheared off, and then the bracket broke around the second bolt. If you look at first pic you can see where the bracket broke around rear bolt.

a33416b69816dbb17a4a85b175033be0.jpg

Second time now—BOTH bolts sheared off. Pump is just sitting there held by the lines. When I pulled the cover to see what was up, I could lift the pump up and down and under it I could feel both bolts broken off in the valve cover.

Truck is back at the dealer (great guys) but now Ford wants to have an engineer look at it as they can’t figure out what is going on. Pic 2 & 3 is the most current failure. Last pic is the bolt from the first time. It was still sitting in the bracket when the tech took the engine cover off.

Anyone else ever see this? The HPFP is bolted on top of the passenger side valve cover about 2/3 of the way back. It’s driven by the cam. The under side of the pump looks like an upside down valve and spring basically. Cam drives it to like 5000psi or so. When it’s come apart both times I lost all turbo power. Truck runs, but in severe limp mode since it’s just getting like 80psi from the tank pump. [mention]FordTechOne [/mention] this may be a first for you.

b65895f3b5eb0f503b7ee70307fabc68.jpg
8e24b597878743f5189e5552a4fdb3be.jpg
4b1980f6a7f005c1fbe7420df72bb8e1.jpg

What is your build date? As Gsteve mentioned, there was a recall (18S17) that affected vehicles built 02/20/18 to 05/06/2018. If the recall was already completed, I’d suspect the technician is over-torquing the bolts. This can happen when a torque wrench loses calibration or becomes worn out and applies more torque than is indicated.

OP
OP
Proflyer

Proflyer

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s not under the recall period. New bolts when phasers were done 2k ago. New bolts and new pump lasted 200 miles second time.

OP
OP
Proflyer

Proflyer

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What is your build date? As Gsteve mentioned, there was a recall (18S17) that affected vehicles built 02/20/18 to 05/06/2018. If the recall was already completed, I’d suspect the technician is over-torquing the bolts. This can happen when a torque wrench loses calibration or becomes worn out and applies more torque than is indicated.
Same tech who did my phasers fixed it the first time it sheared off. He’s the most senior tech at a huge dealership. I asked about torque as well and he said he just had snap-on certify his wrenches, which I guess is something they’ve started doing once a year since all these small bolts are TTY and what not. He’s stumped as well. First time was an ‘oh, ok that’s odd. Bad bolt.’ Second time now 200 miles later new bolts and pump is more of an ‘ok, wtf is going on here?!’ He even pulled the cover the first time to make sure all was well under it. Put it all back together and new bolts/pump. Very odd!

Gsteve

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Shit they had to send what ever they screw into to a machine shop to get removed. Ford needs some better bolts