Blue smoke driver side exhaust

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Johnkn

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It’s not a Raptor thing, my wife’s Platinum Explorer 3.5EB did the same thing. I was waiting for someone and idled for 40 minutes in cold weather. When I drove off I trailed a large plume of smoke. Exhaust tips seems oily. That was 2 years ago, it has never happened since (but I’ve never idled that long again)... I assumed it was PCV related but don't know.

Last edited:
OP
OP
KODIAK

KODIAK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It’s not a Raptor thing, my wife’s Platinum Explorer 3.5EB did the same thing. I was waiting for someone and idled for 40 minutes in cold weather. When I drove off I trailed a large plume of smoke. Exhaust tips seems oily. That was 2 years ago, it has never happened since (but I’ve never idled that long again)...

It’s bizarre but I’m sure there’s an explanation for it. Hoping someone with more knowledge has an idea. I’m not entirely convinced its not a turbo issue. Never happened in my last gen2 but I can’t remember ever idling for an hour.

wweaver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess it’s a 3.5 eco boost thing in general then. All three raptors I have had do but it takes 30 min or longer. That’s enough not know it’s just a design thing not just a random issue. I could care less I have had no issues in a combined 150,000 something miles now between the three a 2017(tree crushed it) sad day, 2018 and now a 2020. Let it smoke a little sometimes oh well.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I’m gonna hold off for now, drove it another 400 miles home, and around 50 today. No sign of smoke, burning oil smell, or any codes. Truck ran great. I’m going to change the oil next week. Hoping @FordTechOne has an opinion on it.
There was a TSB for models built before 04/19 for oil consumption caused by the valve cover integrated PCV system. It’s possible the same issue that can cause oil consumption can also cause this issue. Keep an eye on your oil level; if it consumes oil than have the TSB performed.

OP
OP
KODIAK

KODIAK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There was a TSB for models built before 04/19 for oil consumption caused by the valve cover integrated PCV system. It’s possible the same issue that can cause oil consumption can also cause this issue. Keep an eye on your oil level; if it consumes oil than have the TSB performed.
Appreciate it. Going to take it in for the TSB, and also heard that telltale rattle this afternoon when I started it up to go home from work. So guess cam phasers are in my future.

fannin204

Reaction score
This is just a raptor thing. I have had 3 Gen 2s. They all do it after 25/30 min idle or longer. It burns off in about 2 miles down the road. Yes it makes you look like your driving a 70k beater for a minute which sucks.
Exactly how I feel LOL!
Feel like everyone is laughing me. They probably are. Oh well, I have a second gen 2019 Raptor and they don’t