Black Paint Maintenance???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

beefcake

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Really on the fence, some say go for it, some say no.

My surrounding friends and family have kind of told me to re-analize my vehicle situation. It looks like my '96 F350 is going to go bye bye. Thats gonna hurt a little. But on the other hand, if I get a little honda for commuting, then the Raptor will be a play-only truck, black is almost a for sure.

I guess I should really try to test drive one before I set my heart on it though.

Do they need cash in hand to let me test drive? I assume a lot of people that aren't going to buy try to go in and play around in these trucks. Kinda ruins it for those that are actually going to buy in the future.

we will usually let them out for a 5 mile or so test drive. We try to keep the miles low on them.

Some places will want cash / credit apps, etc...

Ranger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My problem here is that I have been genetically programmed to never buy a black vehicle, they're hot on the inside, they show scratches. But IMO, the Tuxedo Black is the color that makes the Raptor look like a bad truck.

I feel your problem bro. I waffled back and forth over black and white because of exactly what you are saying. Me and my girlfriend both loved the Molten Orange, but it's not available in 2012. So when it came down to it, I ordered blue. Up north a vehicle is dirty as soon as you drive 50ft from the car wash in the winter time. I drove by a couple of Ford dealerships, even the black Raptors sitting on the lots looked dirty! Have you considered the Race Red?

Mjolnir

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Griot's Garage Spray on Wax - lifesaver

I've got two black vehicles and getting those swirl marks suck. The best way is to wash the truck (I use ivory soap to not strip the previous wax job), then I use a squegee to get about 90% of the water off the truck, and then spray on Griots Garage Spray on Wax Spray-On Wax - Waxes & Sealants - Waxing - Car Care - Griot's Garage

this stuff pulls the swirl marks out and gives your truck an off the showroom finish.

I've been using their stuff for years, and won several car & bike shows.

Peter

BIRDMAN

Birdministrator
Reaction score
i had a pretty deep scratch running down the side of my truck. it was deep enough to feel with my fingernail....
Before:

2011-08-06_15-13-32_29.jpg
2011-08-06_15-13-38_474.jpg
2011-08-06_15-13-47_958.jpg

Then:
2011-08-06_20-20-43_50.jpg

After:

2011-08-06_17-22-07_593.jpg
2011-08-06_17-22-16_702.jpg
2011-08-06_17-22-25_76.jpg

Reptar

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm a big fan of the new Meguiars line of "ultimate" products. They really have stepped it up a notch over their traditional line of off the shelf products.

I've got two black vehicles and getting those swirl marks suck. The best way is to wash the truck (I use ivory soap to not strip the previous wax job), then I use a squegee to get about 90% of the water off the truck, and then spray on Griots Garage Spray on Wax Spray-On Wax - Waxes & Sealants - Waxing - Car Care - Griot's Garage

this stuff pulls the swirl marks out and gives your truck an off the showroom finish.

I've been using their stuff for years, and won several car & bike shows.

Peter

A squeegee has zero nap whatsoever and if there's even 1 tiny spec of dirt you're dragging it straight across the surface. Squeegees are not swirl friendly. A waffle weave microfiber is a much better choice for drying since the dirt won't be drug against the paint the whole swipe, and they're extremely absorbant, much more so than a standard towel, and ring out easily. 1 will dry the entire truck wringing it out a couple times.

Also no spray on wax will "pull the swirl marks out". It may contain fillers that will fill the swirls to make them less noticible and hide them, but the only way to permanently remove swirls is a compound or polish depending on how severe they are.

OP
OP
G

getpower

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A thought has just occurred to me though.

Every truck gets scratched. Its just the black ones that show them.

I guess, theoretically if you are really keeping your truck clean and waxed, then you shouldn't have any flaws in the paint.

It doesn't matter what paint color you get, either way, your paint is screwed.

BTW, this is my way of justifying the color choice.

I'm just going to get black and say screw it.
Unless I find out that the resale value is affected if its a black truck.

Reptar

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Well it's the scratches that show that matter lol. Scratches that you can't see don't affect the value because nobody knows they're there lol

But yes, no matter what the color, they're all going to swirl, scratch, mark up the same. It's just the darker the color the more they show. Lighter colors tend to hide swirls and scratches better, and metallics also hide as well. So the metallic tux black is better for hiding swirls than ebony black, but still will show way moreso than any other color offered.

As for resale, the more popular colors may not hold value higher, but they may be easier to sell in the future. Still waiting for the 2011 breakdown, but for 2010....

-Tuxedo Black - 4,642 (44.5%)
-Moltan Orange - 2,498 (23.9%)
-Oxford White - 1,825 (17.5%)
-Blue Flame - 1,472 (14.1%)

44% of the 2010's were black, so with nearly HALF the Raptors sold in black, it's the most popular color by a long shot, so finding a future buyer should be relatively easy as well.....as long as the paint is in good condition lol

There are some colors that take a hit on blue book. Green is one of those. When I sold my stealth it actually had like a $400 hit on bluebook value because Green is one of the least desired colors of cars now days lol.

OP
OP
G

getpower

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well that's nice to know.

I can also see why a regular old green wouldn't be so desirable too.

IMO, if they had a Dark, Dark Forest Green with the same kind of metallic flake in it that the tux black has they'd sell a crap load.

I have noticed a couple of trends. People really seem to like those vibrant pastel colors like blue flame and molten orange. But on the other had, more people seem to like the dark metallic colors too.

What I wouldnt to for a Metallic Forest Green metal flake color on a raptor with no graphics. That would be sweet.

Reptar

FRF Addict
Reaction score
With those numbers I wonder why they got rid of orange? I'm still peeved about it.

not sure what the 2011 numbers were for orange, but just because it's a 2nd popular choice doesn't mean they'll keep it for every year. They're making as many Raptors as they can sell, but at least they're keeping some things limited and changing up colors, wheels, interiors, etc. to differentiate years a bit. Same thing with the Gen2 Lightnings, they only offered true blue in 2002, sonic blue only in 2003-2004, and dark shadow gray only 2003-2004. And same with the HD trucks, on those every year the interior is unique, and in particular in 2002 Dark Shadow Gray was EXTREMELY popular, it outsold black, but they still dropped it for 2003, and made it a 1 year only color to keep it unique.

Well that's nice to know.

I can also see why a regular old green wouldn't be so desirable too.

IMO, if they had a Dark, Dark Forest Green with the same kind of metallic flake in it that the tux black has they'd sell a crap load.

I have noticed a couple of trends. People really seem to like those vibrant pastel colors like blue flame and molten orange. But on the other had, more people seem to like the dark metallic colors too.

What I wouldnt to for a Metallic Forest Green metal flake color on a raptor with no graphics. That would be sweet.

I would have loved an olive green on the Raptor, or any other dirt colored or military colored paint scheme.