Black Paint Maintenance???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

getpower

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How's it going guys?

I have recently decided that my next truck is going to be a Raptor. Not sure if I'll buy brand-new or not. There are a lot of options out there for deciding on that.

My problem here is that I have been genetically programmed to never buy a black vehicle, they're hot on the inside, they show scratches. But IMO, the Tuxedo Black is the color that makes the Raptor look like a bad truck.

However, it kind of makes me cringe to even think about buying a black truck that has four-wheel-drive on it, because of where it will end up and what will happen to it while its there.

How do you guys keep that black paint looking cherry? Is it really, really difficult? Or manageable, and easier than I'm thinking it will be to maintain it?

BTW, if anyone has asked this question, please direct me. Me and the search functions on these forums never seem to get along.

---------- Post added at 09:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:20 PM ----------

Wow, not too good. Just posted, and realized its kind of in the wrong forum.

It does say paint repair though!

Maxx2893

Rock and Roll Offroad
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's really not as bad as a normal black (keep in mind it is still black). It has guide a bit a metallic flake in it that masks some dust and scratches.

twlhunter65

Reaction score
How's it going guys?

I have recently decided that my next truck is going to be a Raptor. Not sure if I'll buy brand-new or not. There are a lot of options out there for deciding on that.

My problem here is that I have been genetically programmed to never buy a black vehicle, they're hot on the inside, they show scratches. But IMO, the Tuxedo Black is the color that makes the Raptor look like a bad truck.

However, it kind of makes me cringe to even think about buying a black truck that has four-wheel-drive on it, because of where it will end up and what will happen to it while its there.

How do you guys keep that black paint looking cherry? Is it really, really difficult? Or manageable, and easier than I'm thinking it will be to maintain it?

BTW, if anyone has asked this question, please direct me. Me and the search functions on these forums never seem to get along.

---------- Post added at 09:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:20 PM ----------

Wow, not too good. Just posted, and realized its kind of in the wrong forum.

It does say paint repair though!
Mine's in the body shop geting allot of scratches buffed out today!I had the flairs painted to match and they take th most abuse where they stick out the most!

Reptar

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I've owned two 2000 HD F-150's, both black, and I'll never own another daily driver that is black again. They look the best when clean, but they're the dirtiest the fastest, and require the most upkeep, and most OCD habbits to keep swirls at bay.

For a liesure vehicle, or one that stays indoors I'd buy black. FOr a daily driver, or a truck thats meant to get dirty, I'll never get black again.

OP
OP
G

getpower

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, that kinda shoots the heck outta that idea.

I am not really planning on it being a daily driver. I'm 21, and I also have a '96 f350 crew cab longbed powerstroke with a 5-speed.

I am planning on running it into the ground. But, I drive a concrete mixer for work and after a day of shifting a truck with an eaton fuller and a heavy clutch, something tells me that if I have a truck with an automatic then it's nit going to be left at home.

Nothing sucks worse then shifting all day only to get into your vehicle to go home and shifting for another unnecessary 20 minutes.

On the other hand, I already have an HD truck, so I really don't have to worthy about getting a supercab or supercrew for the townrating difference. Same thing with the cab, I already have a crew cab, so...

Outlaw Offroad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The paint on the Raptor is nothing like anything else on a production vehicle. No joke! I have many customers that go on our runs with the Tuxedo Black and they come back with desert pin stripes and all. Paint completely thrashed... Most times a good washing/detail and it all goes away. Worse case, a good polish will take it all out! Even the mirrors!

OP
OP
G

getpower

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ha, I don't know what I'm gonna do now.

I wanna say might as well go with the black. Never had to deal with a black vehicle before. I guess I will either learn a lesson or be fine.

BIRDMAN

Birdministrator
Reaction score
i have a tux black and i shared the same apprehensions as you. it is tough to keep clean but as others have mentioned, with good polish and wax every 3 months you should be able to stay on top of it.

on the other hand, use my strategy for texas holdem. if you have to think about it too long, you should probably fold :)