Black Hills South Dakota off-road trails. Need help!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

claustin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah I don't know. I uploaded it and hit save signature but it isn't showing up. It's there every time I go into edit signature and I don't see anything else I need to do.

Wilson

FRF Addict
Reaction score
download the pic in your album so I can at least see it I have to put all pic's on this site to get them to post good luck. or ask a admin

claustin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok got it uploaded.

---------- Post added at 11:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:23 PM ----------

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand... got it. Thanks Wilson.

This thread may now return to it's previously scheduled topic. :party36:

OP
OP
windsor

windsor

Reaction score
I just got back home from our trip to the black hills. I finally got on some trails. It was alot of fun! When I have time I will let you guys know what I found out. Do any of you drive a white crew. Going home this morning ran into one on highway 385/16. The oldest boy wanted me to catch him so he could take a picture. Hopefully I can get some pics and/or videos of the trails I took. It might take me awhile.

bhplumber

Reaction score
That was me, I wondered if it was someone from the site when I saw you come up. Hope you had a fun trip, Your truck looked pretty clean though. Look forward to finding what trails you ran.

ironside

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My truck comes out of the shop tomorrow if u see a silver 2012 in the hills this weekend.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

OP
OP
windsor

windsor

Reaction score
bhplumber- That is awesome! My boy saw you way ahead of us. He kept egging me on to catch you so he could take a picture. I had a heck of a time trying to catch you. He did get a picture, so your truck is going into his photo book.

Ok now about the trails. It took three people to get me to the right trails. Dave Ressler at the Custer chamber of commerce, showed me a nice trail map he had hanging on the wall. He pointed me to the black hills national forest supervisor's office, which is just north of Custer on 385/16. Talked to a young lady there that filled me with too much information. But she gave me this great map(black hills national forest motorized recreational map). I paid $10, but it was worth it. It is colored and has 6- 8"x10" maps that are water proof. Note: the black and white MVUM maps suck! They are about the size of a dinner table and are very hard to read and understand. I'm glad they where free. Then the guy at the cabin we where staying at pointed me to a good area to go.

The trails we need to take with full size vehicles are the yellow(roads) or red(trails) that are shown on the maps. The trails number has to have 4 digits. I down loaded the trails to our GPS before we left, which helped the most. It was color coordinated with the paper maps, plus had trail numbers also.

The trails I took where just north of Pactola lake, just off 385 about 1 1/2 miles north of 44 intersection. There was a short road going pass a cattle farm. I took trail 6309 which T'd off to trail 6308. The trails where 1/3 dirt, 1/3 rock/gravel, 1/3 larger rocks(6"-12" in diameter). It was challenging enough I felt like I needed 4x4 and the rear diff locked. At one point the instrument cluster was reading 17 degrees going up this "hill". I spent about a 1 and a 1/2 hours on the trail. But looking at the map trail 6308 hooks up to a bunch of other trails. I think a person can spend all day in that area. It was a lot of fun! Very scenic!

Then on the way home, we took highway 44 towards the badlands/ buffalo gap grass lands. I stopped at a visitor center and got a MVUM map. Between Scenic and Interior are some trails. I was going to take trail 7129, but it rained that morning and the trail was muddy. It crosses Indian Creek several times. So I took trail 7182,7135,7134. The trails are mostly dirt. No much scenery but, I got the raptor up to speed. On one trail I got up to 90mph! That was a bunch of fun! I felt like a little kid when we where done. Spent about another hour or so on those trails.

I liked both sets of trails, and the different off-roading they provided. I wish the black hills were closer or I live there. I have not had that much fun in a long time! Hopefully, when I have some time I can get some pictures and/or videos on here.

I'm NO expert on the trail system but anybody can PM me if they have any questions.

Yukon Joe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
make sure your signature picture is turned on. I'm lucky and have a hill to jump in the back 40 fun but don't do it all the time just when showing what the truck can do

---------- Post added at 09:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:18 PM ----------

MVI_3634.AVI - YouTube

Nice little vid Wilson.

bhplumber- That is awesome! My boy saw you way ahead of us. He kept egging me on to catch you so he could take a picture. I had a heck of a time trying to catch you. He did get a picture, so your truck is going into his photo book.

Ok now about the trails. It took three people to get me to the right trails. Dave Ressler at the Custer chamber of commerce, showed me a nice trail map he had hanging on the wall. He pointed me to the black hills national forest supervisor's office, which is just north of Custer on 385/16. Talked to a young lady there that filled me with too much information. But she gave me this great map(black hills national forest motorized recreational map). I paid $10, but it was worth it. It is colored and has 6- 8"x10" maps that are water proof. Note: the black and white MVUM maps suck! They are about the size of a dinner table and are very hard to read and understand. I'm glad they where free. Then the guy at the cabin we where staying at pointed me to a good area to go.

The trails we need to take with full size vehicles are the yellow(roads) or red(trails) that are shown on the maps. The trails number has to have 4 digits. I down loaded the trails to our GPS before we left, which helped the most. It was color coordinated with the paper maps, plus had trail numbers also.

The trails I took where just north of Pactola lake, just off 385 about 1 1/2 miles north of 44 intersection. There was a short road going pass a cattle farm. I took trail 6309 which T'd off to trail 6308. The trails where 1/3 dirt, 1/3 rock/gravel, 1/3 larger rocks(6"-12" in diameter). It was challenging enough I felt like I needed 4x4 and the rear diff locked. At one point the instrument cluster was reading 17 degrees going up this "hill". I spent about a 1 and a 1/2 hours on the trail. But looking at the map trail 6308 hooks up to a bunch of other trails. I think a person can spend all day in that area. It was a lot of fun! Very scenic!

Then on the way home, we took highway 44 towards the badlands/ buffalo gap grass lands. I stopped at a visitor center and got a MVUM map. Between Scenic and Interior are some trails. I was going to take trail 7129, but it rained that morning and the trail was muddy. It crosses Indian Creek several times. So I took trail 7182,7135,7134. The trails are mostly dirt. No much scenery but, I got the raptor up to speed. On one trail I got up to 90mph! That was a bunch of fun! I felt like a little kid when we where done. Spent about another hour or so on those trails.

I liked both sets of trails, and the different off-roading they provided. I wish the black hills were closer or I live there. I have not had that much fun in a long time! Hopefully, when I have some time I can get some pictures and/or videos on here.

I'm NO expert on the trail system but anybody can PM me if they have any questions.

Sounds like fun... might have to make it up this way...