Black Box: Event Data Recorder

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Icecobra

FRF Addict
Reaction score
This question was breeched sometime ago when the thought that the on board data recorder could in theory at the time record date time direction and speed of travel. This brought an outrage from people with the idea that it would be as simple as have your OBD2 log on to the web and send the info to the police and they could just mail the ticket to you without an officer being involved. Of course back then it was considered ridiculous that it could ever happen. Today with SYNC tech, it can log on to a WI-FI connection and send information to FORD. It was believed at the time that no such technology would be possible for years and years and the thought it could happen was dismissed as improbable... Of course this was back in the early 90's and no one then could imagine it as possible. Now today its not only possible it will become probable that if we don’t vote for responsible people to run the government it is probable that tickets by mail will come sooner than later.....

pirate air

will plunder your booty
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh its very possible. There are already systems out there installed in company vehicles that include data from the vehicles computers and their own sensors that record your speed and compare it to the speed limit of the road you're driving on and with the use of GPS and UHF it will tell whoever you are speeding or not wearing your seat belt, how fast you stopped or accelerated or high engine rpm, or idle time or whatever. The technology is already there.

svt83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think this is an overreaction. Tickets through the mail for speeding from your vehicle info is pretty far off. For many reasons, to include admissibility based on non certified products. Radar and lidar units have to be tested and calibrated, as well as the users have to be certified. GPS units do not give accurate speeds as they are not a constant flow. They take multiple readings every so far and make an estimate of speed based on those calculations.

IMO these "black boxes" don't cause me nearly as much heartache as the veh-veh communication that is being implemented. Cars talking to other cars about approaching or passing and sending warning tones and flashes just means people are going to be even less observant than they are now.

OP
OP
Ruger

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
When I orginally posted, my concern was that event data recorder information has been used in court to the disadvantage of the driver of the vehicle. I did not consider that it could exhonerate the driver, nor that the technology could be exploited to support a police state. I would not say that the concern getting traffic tickets through the mail is an overraction. My sister was a long-haul 18-wheel trucker for several different trucking companies, and she told me that trucking companies capture driving habbit data on their drivers and use it for disciplinary and termination purposes.

hungerforraptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I started driving 18 wheelers in 2002 and have worked for many companies that have these systems in the trucks since then. Through the Qualcom system They can actively monitor speed, and a whole host of other things, if I had a engine warning light, they could tell me what the issue was. Heck they could tell if I was wearing my seatbelt or not.

My point is that the technology is out there and has been for years, and to think that it is not already in new vehicles would be a mistake. And yes I think that if an accident occurs the information can be used to convict or help the driver. It is not a far fetched idea.... 10 years ago the idea of a black president was also far fetched. Just my 2 cents

svt83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I orginally posted, my concern was that event data recorder information has been used in court to the disadvantage of the driver of the vehicle. I did not consider that it could exhonerate the driver, nor that the technology could be exploited to support a police state. I would not say that the concern getting traffic tickets through the mail is an overraction. My sister was a long-haul 18-wheel trucker for several different trucking companies, and she told me that trucking companies capture driving habbit data on their drivers and use it for disciplinary and termination purposes.

Disciplinary and termination processes from a company are a completely different ballgame than from a legal standpoint. They have a lot more power to do different things, some of which is BS. Legally we are no where near being able to mail a speeding ticket. Also, most black box info can be calculated in crash reconstruction, it is just a little easier and also confirms the recon report.

OP
OP
Ruger

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
SVT83, my point was that the technology exists and is already being exploited. As for not legally being close to mailing speeding tickets, isn't that what traffic and intersection cameras are about? I think that's been happening for several years.

BDRAG

HAhahaaaa.
Reaction score
Legally we are no where near being able to mail a speeding ticket. Also, most black box info can be calculated in crash reconstruction, it is just a little easier and also confirms the recon report.

Not true. Speed cameras are used everywhere now and issue tickets, tickets to the vehicles OWNER and not to who was actually driving. Red light cameras. Same shit. They get it by the media, law people by saying or making the ticket a fine and not a driving infraction. This way people just pay them and don't worry about how many they get in the mail. Its all about THE MONEY! No one or no company gives a rats ass about safety, it about MONEY!

Did ya ever see the Top Gear from England when they raced across Japan on the bullet train, in a Nissan street racer and a regular public transportation. Anyway, with all the traffic cameras around the guy driving the car just held up a paper mask on a stick of the leader of Japan, their president or whatever he is called. So all the traffic cams show this president driving! AHahhaaa. There you have to identify the driver I think? Made for a great show anyway..........

BDRAG

Icecobra

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Only point I was trying to make was look how far technology has brought us since the early 90's OBD1 and today. Stop for a second and think about the future, yes one day tickets will just show up in the mail, since they can already. No need to admit guilt just pay the fine... It will happen eventually car recorders will simply be exploited as the Government comes up with new ways to create income and cut paying officers. Just time...

Last edited:

svt83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Obviously we are talking about different things. First it was about car recorders, now we are on traffic cameras. All I said is we are no where close to issuing tickets for speeding from the car black boxes! I know I'm not losing sleep over this. Way too many bigger fish to fry than to worry about what my truck is recording.....