GEN 2 Bicycle in cabin?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dreys

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not worried about theft. Just dislike the idea of all that dust/sand (I live in a desert) just blasting at the frame and getting into nooks and crannies unnecessarily.

This is by far the craziest thing I've heard in quite some time. You do realize when you're riding your bike on the road you get far more dust when having bike in the back of the truck? Bikes are not Swiss watches, they're designed to be ridden outside, get dirty on the trails and have proper seals in place to ensure bearings run smooth.

OP
OP
hedonist222

hedonist222

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is by far the craziest thing I've heard in quite some time. You do realize when you're riding your bike on the road you get far more dust when having bike in the back of the truck? Bikes are not Swiss watches, they're designed to be ridden outside, get dirty on the trails and have proper seals in place to ensure bearings run smooth.

Its not that farfetched.

There's far more dust/sand blasting, and at higher speeds in the carrier.

Even if I was wrong, can't argue that the less time exposed to elements, the better.

It's a $6,100 bike as well.
Less grime accumulation also means less maintenance.

It's also easier sliding it into the rear cabin.

MDJAK

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If one has a tonneau cover, how is the bike going to get sand blasted in the bed?

I just use a 1UpUsa rack on the hitch most times. Other times I will place it in the bed. My front wheel is not quick release so taking it on and off is not an option.

6100? Why such a cheapo bike? ;)

OP
OP
hedonist222

hedonist222

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If one has a tonneau cover, how is the bike going to get sand blasted in the bed?

I just use a 1UpUsa rack on the hitch most times. Other times I will place it in the bed. My front wheel is not quick release so taking it on and off is not an option.

because then I would need to find a way to secure it to the bed while on its side - so its not sliding around

opening the passenger door and rolling it in takes less than a minute

6100? Why such a cheapo bike? ;)

because I am poor :)

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
As above, bad idea for theft obviously, if its temporary to get from point a to b, I would take the front wheel off and wrap the bike in a moving blanket or similar, and wrap the wheel, use one of the seatbelts to keep it from flying around in an accident.

You might want to consider getting something like this to protect the interior.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01GH6FJ74/?tag=fordraptorforum-20

It takes a few seconds to throw in and remove. You could still use the seatbelts to strap it in, but I'd just fold up the seats and tie down to something else.

OP
OP
hedonist222

hedonist222

Full Access Member
Reaction score

cayenne

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Did you catch he is in the UAE... Have you ever spent any amount of time there? The sand blasting that occurs is real. I wouldn't want any of my expensive race bikes being pounded by that either. It's intense, there is nothing like some of the storms that pop up over there.

Here in the US, no issues tossing my bikes on a 1UP. Over there, I think he's got a valid concern. Maybe you shouldn't be so dismissive.

dilmorecg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I specifically got a hard rolling tonneau cover so I could lay my mtb in the truck bed and lock it up. If im just going out to the mountain and back I just throw it in...but it gives me the option if I need to make stops. When I lay my bike down it basically barely fits with the cover over and doesn't move at all. I understand the concern laying it on the side because of the rear brake or sprocket but I have never had an issue.

Also, I don't want to put my dirty mountain bike in the interior after I ride. It gets pretty dirty sometimes.

I know that doesn't answer your question but that is just what I did in a similar situation.

Reaction score
For short trips, bike goes on the bed rack which sits above a rolling, metal and lockable tonneau cover. For long trips (10hrs+ of driving), road bike goes into a Scicon travel bag and is either in the cab or the bed. MTB lives outside on the rack. However, after 20hrs+ on the rack at highway speed in rain, dust and bugs, the MTB headset and bottom bracket will start to creak and need a quick maintenance. A racing bike with low friction bearings (CeramicSpeed or Chris King bearing types) will not like long hours in the bed. BTW, mid-level bikes ride fine in the bed as the bearings are not as sensitive.

Bottom line is you are serious about keeping it out the wind, I've been happy with the SciCon travel bike bags.

OP
OP
hedonist222

hedonist222

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you catch he is in the UAE... Have you ever spent any amount of time there? The sand blasting that occurs is real. I wouldn't want any of my expensive race bikes being pounded by that either. It's intense, there is nothing like some of the storms that pop up over there.

Here in the US, no issues tossing my bikes on a 1UP. Over there, I think he's got a valid concern. Maybe you shouldn't be so dismissive.

Yeah I figured he wasn't very familiar with our climate.

I specifically got a hard rolling tonneau cover so I could lay my mtb in the truck bed and lock it up. If im just going out to the mountain and back I just throw it in...but it gives me the option if I need to make stops. When I lay my bike down it basically barely fits with the cover over and doesn't move at all. I understand the concern laying it on the side because of the rear brake or sprocket but I have never had an issue.

Also, I don't want to put my dirty mountain bike in the interior after I ride. It gets pretty dirty sometimes.

I know that doesn't answer your question but that is just what I did in a similar situation.

I wouldn't put my mountain bike in the cabin either. Not unless I had apt blankets as suggested above.

For short trips, bike goes on the bed rack which sits above a rolling, metal and lockable tonneau cover. For long trips (10hrs+ of driving), road bike goes into a Scicon travel bag and is either in the cab or the bed. MTB lives outside on the rack. However, after 20hrs+ on the rack at highway speed in rain, dust and bugs, the MTB headset and bottom bracket will start to creak and need a quick maintenance. A racing bike with low friction bearings (CeramicSpeed or Chris King bearing types) will not like long hours in the bed. BTW, mid-level bikes ride fine in the bed as the bearings are not as sensitive.

Bottom line is you are serious about keeping it out the wind, I've been happy with the SciCon travel bike bags.

Thanks
I'll look into those bags.