BFG KO2 Tread Life Warranty Claim

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2020Raptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
27k on mine, and appear to have 50% remaining.
I keep 'em at 38 psi and rotate every 5k.
Sport mode 100% of the time, because I drive it like a sports car.
The tires have excellent on-road performance for AT.
I don't get the 'dangerous in the wet' claims.
I think that they work great in the wet.
Maybe try 4 Auto or don't floor it.

TwizzleStix

Pudendum Inspector aka FORZDA 1
Reaction score
....I don't get the 'dangerous in the wet' claims.
I think that they work great in the wet.
Maybe try 4 Auto or don't floor it.

This ^^^^. I drive in 4A 100% always. No problems with spinning, ever. Even when laying down a 4.2 0-60 & [email protected] 1/4 mile. The OEM KO2s are GREAT tires, especially when worn down some for a wide, flat contact patch.

KAH 24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Greetings all.

As some have mentioned, tires are a compromise—tread compound, tread depth, ply strength, sidewall features, etc.

As an OEM, I can say from plenty of experience—we look at all of those variables, plus others such as fuel economy and the big one—COST.

Example:

—I have the Falken Wildpeak AT3Ws on my Raptor, my wife’s LX570, and my son’s 4Runner. They are heavier than the BFG AT KOs.

—My Raptor’s Wildpeaks have 8500miles on them and still look the same as the day they were installed (and my son and daughter have borrowed it multiple times for trips to CO). They drive it like they stole it, even though they deny it. NOTE: I imagine these tires on my wife’s LX and son’s 4R will last “forever”—65k easily.

Comparison:

—BFG AT KO2, Load Range C for the Raptor: lighter tire, softer compound, shallower tread depth at 15/32”, less ply strength/weight, designed for “comfort” and minuscule improvements in CAFE fuel economy/acceleration.

—Falken AT3W: Load Range E for the Raptor: heavier tire, denser silica compound, stepped tread blocks, deeper treads at 20/32”, stronger/more durable/heavier plies, sidewalls have heat dissipators at beads (extra rubber/weight), designed for durability and smooth ride, and minuscule loss of CAFE fuel economy/acceleration.

In closing, one has to decide what their priorities are. I daily drive my Raptor to work and let my “adult” kids borrow it for shenanigans. My priorities are durability/flat/damage resistance, good performance in all weather conditions, smooth ride, good looks, and enough off-road ability to go to our place in CO and do some mild off-roading. Driving on I-35, Central Expy, and 635 hardly constitute a challenge—unless I hit a curb pulling out of Kroger or Petco.

I’m not going to be the next Baja Champion, so the heavier tire checks all of my boxes.

Your priorities may differ. Have a great day all!

StraightSixM2C

Reaction score
Am I one of the few people who is mentally planning on a new set of tires annually? I usually drive 20K miles per year and figured the BFG tires would run about 20K per set. If they last more that’s gravy, but on a performance offroad vehicle I just don’t see them lasting well.
^^this
@18k miles and tires are toast. 35psi front, 32psi rear. 80% city driving. Rotated every 2nd oil change (6k mi)
I drive the truck like a baboon so I’m not surprised. The truck does a great job laying down power with the ko2’s. I think they’re incredible for the punishment they can handle with a 5600lb truck trying to rip them to shreads. I have another set in the garage waiting to go on.

Nemesis

Reaction score
Sorry to pull this old thread back up, but I was having the same issues. 2017 with 27K on the original KO2s and 2/32 tread or less on all tires. Trying to get info from BFG for a warranty claim was coming up empty. They recommended going to Walmart when I called them. So I called Discount Tire. They said they handle the BFG Warranty in house and have all the necessary forms on their computer system.

I went down to see what the process was. The looked at my tires, took tread depth and scanned them with a hand-held scanner tool. Put the info in their system and next thing you know I had $640 pro-rate discount off a new set of 4 KO2. Almost a 50% prorate. 1 hour later I was driving home with a new set of tires.

Moral of the story, Talk to Discount Tire or your area BFG licensed dealer. The process was super easy.

NHDude4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
next thing you know I had $640 pro-rate discount off a new set of 4 KO2. Almost a 50% prorate. 1 hour later I was driving home with a new set of tires.

Moral of the story, Talk to Discount Tire or your area BFG licensed dealer. The process was super easy.
My dealer was totally incompetent so it took months to get the money, but this is how it's supposed to work, and it's this easy if the tire dealer knows what they're doing. All you have to do is press the issue and the tire dealer should be able to get you the tread life balance back as a discount off the new tire cost.

I don't know how anyone gets more than 30k from a set (both of mine needed replacement in the 20k range) and the warranty is 50k. I'll be pushing for this every time I get the tires replaced and I'll keep in mind that Discount Tire knows how to handle it.